Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Clash of Opinions

When I was young I longed to have strong opinions about things.  Now that I am an older woman I find that I do.  Perhaps they are a little too strong.  I find myself struggling to keep an open mind about some things.  Older people in general have strong opinions, it seems.  At least my Layne does.  And often he cannot be moved.  One of his opinions is that the accumulation of stuff should be avoided at all costs.  While I agree with him in theory, there is some stuff I cannot resist accumulating.  Clothes for instance.  Layne allows my indulgence but doesn't participate himself in such things.  Not usually anyhow.

But his birthday is approaching.  So I went shopping for him this past week in spite of his claim that he needs absolutely nothing.  As I looked for the perfect sweatshirt (something he admitted to wanting) I found what I was sure was the perfect one.  And it was on sale.  And it came in several colors that would look good on Layne.  I was so excited to buy it for him.  Once home I could not resist giving it to him right then!  Sometimes I can't contain my enthusiasm for things.  He LOVED it.  He loved it so much that we returned that very evening so he could pick out a second one.  SCORE!  How often does that happen.  Such success puts me into such a high!

Here is that perfect sweatshirt.  Note the zippered neck (Layne
usually just cuts open the neck), high collar for cold days,
 the zippered pocket that will allow nothing to escape (Layne MUST
have a pocket), and, last, the loose bottom (rather than the usual sweatshirt finish).
On sale at Sears.  Perfect.
I found all sorts of treasures to buy besides his birthday present.  Sometimes a shopping trip comes together in a most delightful way.  When this happens shopping can be such a pleasure.  My Christmas shopping has begun!

Layne likes to plan way ahead.  I have compromised my free-spirited, spontaneous nature to a considerable amount to accomodate this quality in him.  But I approached him about a spur of the moment idea; I wanted him to come with me to Utah this coming week for a couple of days, to celebrate my sister's birthday on Oct 2 and his on Oct 5, with his twin, Lynn.  He paused.  He hedged.  He then refused.  I pushed.  I prodded.  I pressed.  All to no avail.  We are not going.  I'm seriously bummed about this.  I think I will pressure him to SCHEDULE said trip when it suits him better; when he can plan ahead for it.  Sigh.  Compromise is part of the married game.  Still.

We spoke with son Gerald on Skype yesterday for a considerable amount of time.  With cameras on our devices, we spoke face to face.  How magical is that!  I love Gerald's gift of gab.  He talked at considerable length about our upcoming move and his opinion about where we should settle.  I have shared my worries about this in previous blogs so you know that I am in a puzzlement about being close to family versus being out of California in a less troubled state, as Layne wants to do.  Gerald's opinion is that we should choose a good location and not worry about family; that, if we choose a place with freedom and opportunity, they may wind up coming our way, in time.  He also mentioned that there are ways to be close even at a distance.  He also feels, that when the time is right, we will know what to do.  So it boils down to faith, I suppose.  If we do our homework and check out various places, when we actually have to make the decision, it will become clear.  And probably not until then.

Patience.  Relax.  All will become clear, with time.

Gerald, on my computer screen, using Skype.
He sits in Taiwan, flashing his wonderful face as if
he were sitting here before me.  Love it.
Layne in his tux for his quartet picture.  He's
singing with them for a Christmas concert.


This early morning I stood on my balcony enjoying our
valley, lit up by a full moon.  I love the moonlight!


Grandson Bruce, after the agony of receiving a
haircut by his grandmother.

No comments: