Sunday, September 2, 2012

Celebration for a Grandson

An absence of two years deserves a celebrated return.  Grandson Chase spoke about his mission last Sunday to a full house.  Many from our Fremont ward attended as well as family.  The family stayed for a celebration at home, of Chase's return and of his birthday, which was in July.  It is always great to meet with the local family.  We had such fun honoring Chase and loving him.

Chase, opening a birthday gift.
Grandson Bruce (Reed and Dorothy's youngest)
with his security blanket, crocheted by my mom.
Getting together so easily with family has set me to thinking.  Our anticipated move will certainly take us further away from this happy circle.  Layne wants to leave California.  He grows in his frustration with increasing government interference and taxation.  I agree with him.  But I've been wondering lately if leaving California is really what we ought to do.  It will mean leaving family as well.  So which is more important:  to find a place that is cheaper and less restrictive but without family, or to stay here, find a home that we can buy, keep all the frustrations of California life, but with family?  We could compromise and move to Menden or Genoa, Nevada, which is out of state but still relatively close to family.  If you call 4 hours drive close.  As I ponder the reality of leaving here I feel such confusion.  Where should we go?



The local family men:  Cliff, Chase (now the tallest in the family),
Reed, Ben, Layne, Chris (Cliff's younger brother).

Standing with Chase are some of the local family women.  In back:  me, Allegra,
Jessica, Chase, Audrey, Kristy (Chris' wife).  In front:  Jacqueline, Abigail, Alexis,
the two daughters of Chris and Kristy.
Yesterday we visited with some of our old neighbors in Fremont.  Jeanne Harmon, our very next door neighbor and friend, talked with me for awhile.  With tears in her eyes she said she missed attending Relief Society with me.  She said that she and hubby Don have attended a number of different Churches and none felt right.  When we were neighbors we often talked of gospel principles.  The Spirit sang between us when we did.  Jeanne came very close to joining the Church at that time, but Don closed his heart to it and forbade her and their daughters from considering it.  I could feel Jeanne's sadness as she spoke to me.  I offered to bring her to Church with me and she eagerly accepted.  Perhaps the Spirit is calling to her once again.  I'm so glad that we made this sweet contact with her.  I'm taking her with me to Relief Society in another week!

I have spent this past week making a history of Reed's childhood, to give him for his birthday celebration today.  I finished it!  Seeing him grow up in the photos I organized for him reminds me that life passes so very quickly.  How should we spend these remaining years that are left to us?  I feel the need to get done what were just future goals in days past.  There are probably not too many good years left to us.  What is the best use for them?  Since moving here, I have felt of very little use to our local Church.  I've decided that this is a gift to me, allowing me to finally pursue those plans that I have wanted to complete for many years.  It should be fun after all, so I'm telling myself to get to it.

No comments: