Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Birthday Boy

I'm not very good at gift giving.  I try to be observant but it isn't one of my gifts.  So you'll understand when I explain that I struggled with what to get for my sister.  Her birthday is just three days earlier than Layne's, on October 2.  My sister Maryanne, perhaps like me, has most of what she wants in terms of stuff.  I struggled this year with what I could possibly give her that would be meaningful.  Then I had an inspiration.  I collected all the photos I had of her and put them together in a little book.  It seems to me that sentimental things are more cherished at this time of life.  There is so much of life to look back on now.  I hope she thinks so too.

The cover to Maryanne's book
A picture of Maryanne from the book.
October 4th was the anniversary of my baptism into the LDS Church.  It has been 54 years since my spiritual journey began in the Church.  I was baptized with my sister and my mother, and friend Lyn Large Hooker.  What a happy journey it has been for me since then.

Last Friday (October 5th) was Layne's birthday.  He turned 72.  Wow.  I did my best to make his day special and fun.  He is strong, bright and healthy even if a bit set in his ways.  I love this man who has demonstrated an unselfish, energetic, caring love for life and people throughout our marriage.  He has a flair for making friends and nurturing them.  He's good at fixing things too.  I call him a lover of hearts and parts.  It is pretty wonderful having him in my life.


Layne having breakfast on his birthday.

Friday night with neighbors and friends, Ernie and Bev Trutner.
We are playing dominos, our traditional after dinner activity.

Layne, winning at dominos.

We have been struggling with where to move, as I have expressed before.  Lately I have taken to praying over this and asking the Lord to incline our hearts in the right direction.  Layne has voted for Texas.  That seems so far away to me.  I'm inclined to Idaho.  It's closer to family and there is something about it that seems to call to me.  Out of the blue Layne said to me several days ago, "I'm thinking more and more about Idaho."  I was shocked.  No Texas?  Hum.  Is that an answer to my prayers?  We are going to visit Idaho to find out.  And maybe to Texas just to be sure.

No comments: