Sunday, July 28, 2013

Productivity and Play

Audrey and Cliff spent the weekend with us, picked up their sons Chase (the soon-to-be-married son) and our Isaiah.  Phyllis was here as well, with her dogs.  So it has been another full house.  But everyone left on Monday morning.  The rest of the week opened up vast amounts of undemanding time.  What possibilities lie within such empty gifts of time.  I always get excited about this, and plot all sorts of accomplishments, in my mind.  Sometimes I actually do them.  Tuesday was one of those "doing" days.  Now that we have bookcases, I unpacked every single book box and arranged them all carefully between our four bookshelves.  I arranged them by subject and labeled each shelf.  It took all day!  But by the end of the day I felt so good.  This kind of a day is energizing.  I was hoping the rest of the week would be equally productive but it wasn't.  I can't say why.  I had it all set up in my mind.  But, for some reason, my body just couldn't get into it.

Audrey and Isaiah, packed up and ready to head for home.
Now that I'm an older woman, I'm thinking more about having open time and investing in a little fun.  Watching the sun set and running through the sprinklers has become a regular source of pleasure on these hot days.  Layne keeps the expanse of grass surrounding our home green and lush.  It is a joy to walk on.  He spends lots of time each day outside, making the yard and garden lovely and productive.  Idaho provides lots of cloudy skies, making for magical sunsets.  I've decided that there is lots to love here.

Speaking of Layne, I talked to him again about my desire for closer communication with him.  I seem to go this round on a somewhat regular basis.  He doesn't have the same need for verbal bonding that I do.  I guess it is a guy thing.  But, to make me happy, we stayed in bed on Saturday morning and talked for over an hour.  It was a delicious time.  I think he even liked it.  Maybe we are onto something!
A full moon greeted me on my morning walk this week.


Sprinkler plus grass plus heat makes a grass run joyful.

Layne's garden.  Corn and tomatoes are coming.  Squash and
beets have arrived.  Lots and lots of squash.  Want some?

No comments: