Sunday, June 30, 2013

People Joy

It doesn't get dark here until 10 PM.  I sat on our expansive lawn last night and watched the sun set.  It has been hot but the evening wind blew through my hair and cooled the rest of me in a very pleasant way.  It is good to stop for awhile.  Stop moving.  Stop doing.  Just sit.  It has been a very busy summer so far.

Sunset view from our lawn on Saturday night, about 10 PM.  
Last week our Sunol neighbors and good friends Bev and Ernie Trutner arrived for a visit.  They spent almost a week with us.  It was so fun to spend comfortable time, where nothing special was expected.  We talked, played dominos, did a couple of local tours and just generally enjoyed spending time together.  I feel a kinship with Bev and Ernie; they are pure in heart, kind and good.  In spite of that, I sense an aversion in them, especially Bev, to Mormonism.  We share spiritual thoughts and feelings but if they get to "Mormon-y", Bev shuts down.  I can feel it.  I have not addressed this directly with her but I suppose it might be a good idea to do so, sometime.  I would so like her to see what I see.

Bev, Ernie and me, outside an abandoned Penitentiary, one
of the tourist sights here.

Bev and Ernie at our farewell lunch at a local Mexican Restaurant.
Bev and Ernie left last Wednesday for home.  That was just in time for us to pack and head to Salt Lake for a Friday wedding.  The last of our Mongolian daughters, Marta, was married in the Mt. Timpanogos Temple Friday morning.  How I love that girl!  Marta is one of those wonderful people that has a laugh in her heart that is always ready to burst forth.  Her joy is life is contagious.  She is one of those people that makes life better for people.  It appears that she is marrying a good match.  The wedding and reception was filled with warm feelings.  I believe it will be a good marriage.

Marta with her new husband, Matt Hansen.
Marta and Matt in traditional Mongolian clothing.
Marta and Layne dancing the father-daughter dance.  She also
danced with her Mongolian father.  Both of her parents were
able to be here for the wedding! 
We stayed with Bob and Maryanne.  Bob is recovering from knee surgery so isn't getting around much.  Maryanne is a bit tired so things there are moving slowly at the moment.  We tried to get some little things done for them.  I wish we lived closer so I could help out more often.

We also stopped by Gerald's house.  He is wanting to rent out that house in Draper.  But it is full of furniture and personal things.  We plan to do our best to help him by packing things up when we are there.  It makes me sad to walk through his well-equipped home that stands empty of people.  I hate to see the household dissolved.  I suppose renting it is a good option since they spend little time there.  But there is a sadness to it for me.

We are home once again.  I'm hoping to talk Layne into watching the sunset with me tonight.  Tomorrow Reed and family will arrive.  After that we are off to California for a family reunion.  What a summer!




No comments: