Sunday, June 16, 2013

Full of Grandchildren

Several months ago, before we moved to Idaho, I told my pregnant daughter-in-law Jessica that I would return to California and take care of her six children when the time came to deliver her baby.  I also volunteered to take the children back to Idaho with me for another week, to give her some quiet time.  She and son Ben are the parents of a busy household of lovely children, none of whom is of a quiet disposition.  That promise rode in the back of my mind ever after, until the week of the delivery arrived June 3rd.

Off I flew that day, arriving Monday evening.  Jessica entered the hospital Tuesday night and delivered the baby Thursday, making June 6th the birthday of our latest grandchild.  Victoria was born with dark hair and lovely features, into the arms of a collective welcoming committee of 6 eager children and an excited mom and dad.  Oh, and I was there too!

Here is granddaughter Alexis jumping on the tramp at her
house in Palo Alto.  I took the picture so I could fool around
with it and make the picture below.
Here is Alexis as she appears above but with a different background.
She wanted me to add an angel's robe but that seemed a bit difficult to
pull off.  Fun to do!
I worried that I would not have the oomph to handle things at their home, but all seemed to go well.  The children adapted to my way of functioning without complaint and the time sped by, as it always seems to do, until the arrival home of Ben, Jes and Victoria Friday afternoon.

Here is our 22nd grandchild, Victoria, surrounded by
her family in Jessica's hospital room.
Jessica and Victoria, at home.
The kids and I packed on Saturday, and picked up daughter Jessica (not to be confused with daughter-in-law Jessica) that evening.  She had agreed to fly in from Seattle to help me drive the children to Idaho.  We went to Church on Sunday and headed to Audrey and Cliff's home in Mountain House that afternoon.  Audrey had the one day flu on the previous Friday but was well over it by our visit on Sunday.  We had fun with them and Reed and Dorothy that evening and fell into bed that night.  It was my idea to spend Sunday night with Audrey and Cliff so as to cut an hour off of our drive to Idaho on Monday.

Daughter Jessica and I organized the kids early Monday morning and we were off to Idaho in Ben and Jessica's van.  Six children, from age 1 up to age 10, were all arranged in their several seats, with movies to fill our hours.  Jessica and I had a great time talking all along our way.  I anticipated that the trip would bring its share of challenges, but the kids were perfect!  Perhaps the movies and the pre-packaged lunches and snacks we prepared were the secret.  We arrived in good time Monday evening with everyone in good spirits.  My good friend Nikki Larson and her special needs daughter, Heather, arrived that same day from California.  They also spent the week with us.  What a house full!  Layne had supper prepared and all seemed right with the world.

Then I began to feel quite awful.  Awful deepened into truly terrible.  I went to bed.  Layne and Jessica put the kids to bed.  The night was filled with yucky-ness.  By morning the worst was over but I was wiped out.  Grandson Zach as well as Jessica got sick in the night.  It turned out to be...you guessed it...Audrey's one day flu.  Jessica pulled herself together to catch her flight home.  Layne was left to manage our little gang and he did a great job.  By Wednesday I was almost normal so we were able to do some things, in between nursing the various sickies, as the flu moved among us.  So, instead of the daily adventures I promised the kids, we spent most of our days at home.  By Thursday Layne was feeling pretty terrible.  Our run with the flu ended at last with him.

Grandson Jonathan, at the park in Idaho.
I wouldn't want you to think that it was all work and no play however.  We did manage to fit in some fun stuff with the kids:  a trip to the park, swimming, a water balloon fight, Father's Day surprises, a scavenger hunt, shopping, story telling, movies, volley ball, and various outdoor fun.  Not bad considering the flu was ever present.  Friday Ben flew in and everyone left Saturday morning, including Nikki and Heather.



Layne and I with our BJ kids just before they left for home.


Whew.  We made it.  I was sad and glad to see them go.  It was such work to keep things going smoothly, but what a great bond we all had.  I feel such tenderness about those children after spending so much time with them.  So, in spite of my worries, I feel the time invested was worth it.

Now for a nap.

No comments: