Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Little Road Trip

I went on and on telling Layne how much I enjoyed driving from Boise to Salt Lake a few weeks ago.  Maybe all my carrying on warmed him to the idea of us making the same drive this past week.  Except we took his old Toyota truck instead of our much more comfortable Envoy.  You may remember my complaints about driving that truck from California to Star at an average of 50 miles per hour.  It took us an hour and a half longer to make that fairly uncomfortable trip.  So I was dreading another truck ride.  But in order to pack up some shelves that son Gerald said we could take from his Draper house, we had to use the truck.  For all of my complaining, it turned out to be quite comfortable.  Plus, Layne drove much faster!  Maybe I'm too much of a California girl, but I like to get things done in a hurry, if at all possible.  I know I need to slow down and Idaho is just the place to teach me that lifestyle.  But I haven't got it yet.  So I was happy that, in 6 hours, we arrived at my sister Maryanne's new home in Draper.

Maryanne and husband Bob have done an amazing job of making a newly moved into house look like a well settled in home.  It is lovely.  She even included touches of red in our guest room and bath.  Can't beat the color!  We had fun hanging with them, taking in the view from the tops of the mountains, accessed from their back yard, and sharing some family history.

Here is a picture of my grandmother, Margaret Halfacre,
copied from Maryanne's collection.  
We also visited Layne's twin brother, Lynn, and his wife Camille.  We had a sweet time with them, promising that we would get together much more often now.  The Galbraith men are an interesting lot; they consider themselves close, but rarely talk and almost never see one another.  Layne is perfectly happy being alone or with a crowd; with family or without.  He keeps his love for them in his heart and seems to feel little need to actually connect.  But I'm pressing him to press the family flesh a little more often and hold out hopes that we will.

Cliff Conlon and his daughter Lori.
Audrey sent me this picture of granddaughter Allegra's thick,
curly, red hair.  Can you imagine any hair more perfect?
This Sunday (today) we enjoyed the company of our Colorado friend, Cliff Conlon, who brought along his Boise daughter Lori for a Sabbath dinner together.  I love having the chance to be close to wonderful people.  Most people are, it seems to me.

No comments: