Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas

Daughter-in-law Dorothy asked me to babysit last week, on Monday.  Baby Bruce had the flu and she wanted to take him to the doctor's.  I spent that day and the following in Brentwood, taking care of kids and generally trying to help out.  All of the kids were taking turns with the 12 hour flu so I was exposed on many fronts.  By Thursday I had it.  I pride myself at resisting stuff like that so I was a bit disappointed at my body for not doing so this time.  After all, it's Christmas and there is much to be celebrated.  But succumb I did, so last week was pretty lost.

Fortunately I felt mostly ready for Christmas.  Gifts were all wrapped and I was fairly well prepared for Christmas Eve, when everyone would gather for our annual celebration of the birth of the Savior.  I put lots of preparation, hope and prayer into this special night.  It is dedicated to the spiritual side of Christmas.  I always envision a perfect family re-enactment of the Savior's birth, done by spiritually minded grandkids who really get into the story and take it seriously.  I suppose it is pretty obvious that I set myself up for disappointment.  This year I did several things to lessen it:  I gave out nativity story parts to the kids early so they could read up and practice their parts; I picked out, organized and labeled the costumes so they could find them and put them on easily; I cleared out a bigger space for the re-enactment; I made a little book of the nativity story with the kids as characters in case the whole thing turned to worms.  At least there would be something in writing as a back-up.

Granddaughter Jacqueline is narrating our Christmas Nativity Story.
A picture of Christ creating the world is on the TV screen.

Allegra and Scott are Joseph and Mary

Here are the grandkids at the end of our Christmas Eve, dressed in
their new Christmas pajamas.
So, here is the report:  only some of the kids actually prepared their parts BUT it went pretty well!  The kids played their parts, we took lots of pictures and video and generally enjoyed the outcome.  So all that work was worth it.  We followed up with a candle ceremony, where each person receives a candle, shares a positive thought and places their lighted candle on a center table.  By the end there is a lovely collection of light which we liken to the light our family can share with the world.  It is a lovely thought which I hope the children catch.  So, in summary, I felt fairly good about our celebration.

Christmas day was crazy fun yet I felt a bit of melancholy.  I often cannot figure myself out.  Sometimes I am overwhelmed with feelings that I can't explain to myself.  Perhaps my bits of sadness came because I didn't feel my best (flu hangover) or perhaps I was missing my mom.  Or perhaps a bit of both.  Or maybe there is a bit of something else that I haven't figured out yet.

This week I experienced a bit more of sickness.  Disgusting but true.  I seem to be on the mend today.  Feeling crummy has kept us from meeting up with son Ben and family at their rented cabin in the snow.  I'm sad to miss it.  But I've got to get a grip; this Saturday is New Year's Eve and the whole family will gather once again for a marathon night of food, games and conversation.  I wouldn't want to miss that.

At this closing of 2011 I feel grateful for the peace and plenty that still are a part of our lives here on this wonderful little hill in California.  In spite of struggles and losses, life is so very good.

No comments: