Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cracking Nuts

I think there are probably hundreds of little miracles that happen in our lives that we don't notice.  Monday a small miracle happened to me that I didn't miss.  On Monday Layne and I went our separate ways on separate errands.  Mine ended at the local gas station where I filled our Jeep gas tank.  In the process of that I managed to lock myself out of the car.  Keys were inside.  Also purse.  I tried every door with no luck.  Feeling quite foolish, I entered the gas station store and asked one of the workers if he could unlock my car.  He gave it a once over and said the only way was to break a window.  "What car insurance do you have," he said.  "Maybe they provide towing service."  "Hum," I replied.  "I'm not sure if we have Farmers or State Farm."  "You don't know who insures your car?" he asked me, thinking I was a total moron.  That's kinda how I felt too.  All the car insurance information was right there in the glove compartment.  Locked up.  Out of my reach.  But I did figure out that we have Farmers and was just talking to their help line making arrangements for rescue when I happened to look outside where the jeep was taking up a pumping space and saw what looked like our other car.  I walked outside and moved a little closer.  To my amazement there was Layne, just finishing filling up our Envoy!  There he was, without knowing I was there and in great need of help.  He was delivered to me in some special, magical way.  I was saved.  And I was grateful that somehow he was led to that gas station at that time.  It was a tender mercy indeed.

Here we are just before our last performance of Nutcracker.
Layne has lots of eye make-up on so he looks a little funny.

Layne, daughter-in-law Jessica and son Ben at our Bethlehem
Dinner.  Note the use of fingers instead of forks.  Gotta be authentic!

Ben and Jessica's youngest, Jonathan.
We have been practicing for our part in a Nutcracker production for some weeks now.  Layne refers to our rehearsals as, "cracking nuts".  I kinda like it.  Anyhow all that practicing ended this weekend with our final performances on Temple Hill, in Oakland.  Layne had a solo part again this year during the Grandfather's Dance.  His part was a little more extensive this year, which made him a bit more nervous.  But he did a great job.  The whole show was amazingly good.  I believe I have explained before that our friend Rachel Tan is responsible for this amazing effort to bring the Nutcracker to Temple Hill for free.  She and her husband have spent lots of time and money making it happen.  Rachel has three dance studios and it is her students who present the entire show.  Professional props, beautiful costumes and well rehearsed dancers make for a show that rivals any that you might pay money to see.  Both nights were packed.  Rachel's daughter played the starring role this year and did a lovely job.  I found it quite wonderful that this gift the Tans have offered to so many people is also providing their daughter with an unforgettable experience.   It's a joy to be a part of it.

Tonight our kids downstairs, Cliff and Audrey, had their annual Bethlehem dinner.  Our local family gathers for it and dons shepherds head pieces before being served with Bethlehemish food, which must be eaten with our fingers.  It's a fun experience.

So, after a weekend filled with activities, we are looking forward to a slower pace this coming week.  I think we are almost ready for Christmas.

No comments: