Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Stumble in the Dark

Some of the biggest changes in life come to us in an instant.  My mother's stroke was one of those things.  She went from a vital, active woman to a very dependent one in an instant.  I had one of those moments this past week, with, hopefully, just temporary results.  I was walking downstairs early Wednesday morning, in the dark, and missed the last stair.  Before I had time to think or react I was flat on the floor, a bit dazed and twisted.  I was on the way to the garage where Layne was waiting for me, perhaps a bit impatiently.  He had no idea of my fate until I finally was able to get up and limp my way to the car.  We were preparing to leave for our early temple assignment.  Layne was very sympathetic once he saw my problem.  I limped my way through our morning temple assignment and early afternoon Costco stop.  As it turned out, I sprained my ankle, and bruised up various other body parts.  I babied the ankle as well as I could but spent the next few days wanting to do nothing except sit and sleep.  I seemed to be drained of all ambition and energy.

It is at times like these when planning ahead really pays off.  I have most of my Christmas obligations done, so those few days of idling gave me no stress.  What a happy thing that turned out to be.  Last year at this time I was a bundle of stress over things I wanted to get done for Christmas.  For me, planning ahead for things like Christmas can backfire.  It happens to me because, having accomplished my early goals, time opens up for thinking up new ones.  Then they become a whole new pressure as I attempt to accomplish them as well.  This year I'm holding myself back.  I've accomplished the goals I set and I'm determined to set no more.

By Saturday I was a new woman.  Energy returned and I began to feel a bit more normal.  My ankle is still double its normal size but it is much less painful and moving much better.  So I guess I'll recover.  But experiences like these call to my mind how grateful I should be for times when my body is all in relatively good working order.  I've been reading a book on physical fitness for old ladies and it has encouraged a more vigorous exercise routine.  I'm considering that.  I can see that it takes more effort than I'm used to
to keep an older body in working order.  This week's experience is a great reminder that it's very nice when all the parts are working properly.  

Today our daughter Audrey awoke with pain.  She has been having these pains on and off for awhile but lately it has been mostly on.  So her hub, Cliff, took her to Emergency where they confirmed what we already thought; she has gall stones and an enflamed gall bladder.  So she goes in for surgery tomorrow sometime to have the pesky part removed.

Here's Jonathan after his blessing.  Note his outfit; shirt, tie and vest.
He makes a pretty cute package, don't you think?
While she was on this hospital adventure the rest of the family headed for Palo Alto to see our newest grandson blessed.  Jonathan Galbraith was blessed by his dad, our son Ben, with an assist from son Reed and Layne.  We enjoyed lunch and a bit of bonding at Ben and Jessica's afterwards.  It was a lovely time even though shortened by the desire to visit Audrey before it was too late.  She is looking forward to the surgery and no more pain.  It is a routine procedure so there shouldn't be any problems.  I believe we are all feeling comfortable with it.

It has been a full but rewarding day as we returned from the hospital to our Christmas-laden house.  Now I must teach seminary for Audrey the next two mornings.  I can't say that I'm excited about that.

No comments: