Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Pleasure of Words



I think just about every situation presents possibilities and opportunities. Mom's lifestyle has been cut off; she now must concentrate on making her body do the simple things she took for granted all of her life. "Not fair", it is easy to think. While it is hard to see her struggle, I have a feeling that she is simply being redirected for a time. I have been pondering what that redirection might be. After all, she is still blessed with a perfectly good mind and the ability to express herself. I am beginning to feel that this time is an opportunity to get her thoughts recorded. The more I think about it, the stronger I feel. So we are working every day on finishing her life story. Then I want her to help write Daddy's story. There is a posterity to bless. I would hate to lose her without something written of her for future generations. She is a noble soul who has lived benevolently. Her experiences should be shared. I'm finding great joy in recording her story.

I have been worrying that Mom is beginning to give up trying to get stronger. But yesterday she walked twice as far as before! She seemed so spirited! She did everything much better than usual. We have been working hard on her biography; perhaps that fills her with more enthusiasm and motivation for the physical effort now required of her. Maybe she needs a stronger sense of purpose behind her efforts.

This place immerses me in it. I don't often think beyond here. I miss home but not as much as I thought I would. We have two more weeks with Mom and I find that I'm looking forward to it. There is time everyday to relax and do something or nothing. Layne works on the computer every day, organizing his missionary work at home. He also does endless crossword puzzles. I've read more than I ever do at home, in addition to getting more rest. Mom needs lots of rest so it supplies us with this gift of time. I'm grateful for the blessings this place and time with Mom are giving to me.

Pictures: Mom in High School, Mom is a special hairdo done by bather Donna, Layne doing another crossword puzzle.

No comments: