Sunday, August 9, 2009

On the Town



Cedaredge is a small country town. So there isn't much shopping to be had here. Our outings have mostly been to the local grocery store and Walmart. Most of my days here I just stay home. There is lots to do at Mom's place and there seems to be no need for more. This past week I did take the time to run a couple of errands. Among them was a trip to the Apple Shed, a collection of shops under one roof (an old apple shed, hence the name). It is an artsy place filled with all sorts of art done by local artists, of which there are many, and also furniture. It is owned by a lovely lady named Connie Williams, a great artist herself. Connie and her husband have an orchard in addition to the Apple Shed and sell their fruit there. I checked on their peaches and wound up buying two big boxes of them! Peaches are our favorite fruit, fresh or bottled. Layne promised to help me bottle them, using canning bottles from Mom's barn. We bottled 12 quarts so far. We'll take them home when we bring Mom home with us in the fall.

On the way home from this outing I drove by an art gallery run by Barbara Torke, one of my favorite local artists. I've passed her place before but this time I felt a strong urge to stop. So I did. In Cedaredge a shop can be anywhere. There is no zoning. So the house down the street can sell anything from donuts to tires. Hence quite a number of homes double as some kind of shop. Most common are antique and art shops. Barbara's place is just a little house turned into a gallery and art shop. I went inside. She was alone so we had a chance to talk. She told me that she teaches art every Thursday and Friday for $15 a lesson. I decided to attend! I've gone to two classes so far, trying to learn how to use pastels. I feel so awkward at it but relish the chance to learn more about it. I love doing it even if I don't like the outcome, which I usually don't. But I lose all track of time when I draw; it absolutely absorbs me. I think that is a good thing, if kept in balance with the rest of my life. I'm so excited! When I am here, from now on, I'm going to take lessons. Who knows where it will take me!

The photos here are samples of my efforts. They need lots of work. But perhaps I'll improve with practice. One more week here and we head for home. It has passed quickly.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Cool pictures, Mom!

Anonymous said...

You've always been an artist. The pictures are wonderful!