Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Kinda Fun



We live on a gravel pit. There are rocks of all shapes and sizes everywhere! There are the no-good, crumbly kind but the ones that call to me are the firm, polished ones of various colors that lie hidden all over the property. They lie in every direction, hidden like Easter eggs, waiting for me to find them. I can't resist looking for them each time I'm outside. In spite of finding bucket after bucket, each time I look it is as if I had collected none; they are still everywhere. I have a purpose in collecting them. We have an extended dry creek bed that winds from the front of the house, along the south side and into the back yard. Lots of rocks are required. So each weekday morning, before the heat of the day arrives, I go hunting. It is addictive. My goal is to fill a bucket each day. But after one bucket I am usually seduced into filling another. I am the only one in the family who seems to enjoy this. It is so much fun!

I've been slow to get an exercise program going here. It is a sad commentary on my character to admit that, without a motivated companion, I cannot seem to make myself do any kind of physical exercise consistently. I dabble but don't settle. But, when I do exercise, I often just dance. I filled a CD with dance music which offers me a steady stream of rhythmical opportunities. I put on my dancing shoes, turn up the music and dance my way through the morning, often dusting or cleaning the kitchen as I go. A little multi-tasking makes the most of my high-energy moments. I can't seem to convince anyone else in our household that dancing is so much fun!

I did manage to get Layne to watch part of the movie, Emma, with me last night. It has a very romantic ending, which Layne shared with me. He is quite a romantic, you know. He was softened by the sweetness of the moment and it blessed us the rest of our evening together.
The peace of this place offers so many blessings!

No comments: