Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Spirit of Nature


I believe that the Spirit of God dwells in nature in greater abundance than anywhere else. Colorado offers more plentiful exposures to nature's wonders than just about anywhere else, for me. The surrounding countryside calls me to join it. I am lucky enough to have found a walking companion in the form of a red-head named Elaine. She is about my age and a good friend of mom's. She and I walk along a local creek most weekday mornings. We walk through bunches of trees to the sound of rushing water. It is quite magical. In addition, mom's land is filled with nature's wonders. Her mulberry tree is filled with birds happily munching the ripe berries. A noisy little squirrel often joins them. Her pasture is filled with cattle. There is life everywhere. Feeling the life pulse is a joyful thing that fills me with such peace and happiness.

Mom and I sat on her front porch this afternoon to the sound of thunder as a storm moved in. Lightening, thunder and rain filled the next few hours. We took it all in through her porch and kitchen windows. Layne rescued her deck upholstery, as you see in the accompanying photo. It was exciting to stand inside a comfortable home, dry and happy, looking out on a summer storm. How I wish our California home had summer rains! I couldn't resist taking some photos, some of which you see here. Summer rain. What a treat.

Mom seems to be less eager to exert herself. Her hip and leg have been hurting since a crooked sleep several nights ago. I am beginning to feel that she will now make little progress. I am still hoping for more but not counting on it. Some days she is bright and eager to do things but so much of the time she just wants to rest. She says little. I miss her insightful chatter. We are working on finishing up her life story, which she seems to enjoy. She seems to have so many thoughts inside of her, as she always has, but is less inclined to express them. She is frustrated that her body no longer works as she'd like. I think she is beginning to feel that it is a condition that she will have to put up with from now on. I think she is a little discouraged. She doesn't say so, but I think she is feeling it. I don't blame her. It would be hard to not be able to run and move at will. Here she is with friend Barbara Petersen.

Life here is basically relaxed. We serve mom and there is time in between to do what pleases us. Afternoon naps are a habit. The pace is slow. I like it.

Top picture is Layne after dinner.

No comments: