Sunday, March 1, 2009

Dressing Carmen

Audrey, Emily (Dorothy's sister), me, Linda (Dorothy's mom) and Heidi, an amazing friend, gather around Carmen's coffin.

This past week was for Carmen. Dorothy asked me if I would join her mom, Linda, in dressing Carmen's body for burial. I've never done that before. I've never even touched a dead body. I worried that it would be emotional and difficult. But Dorothy pressed, so I agreed. On Monday of this past week Audrey (who came for emotional support) and I headed to the mortuary in Antioch to do the deed. We were the first there and entered the dressing room where we were alone with Carmen's body. As I looked at it a wave of sorrow filled my heart. We came closer and, as I looked, I could feel the emptiness of her body; she was assuredly gone! A peace came to me then, and a feeling that I could do what was required. The others arrived and together we tenderly dressed her in her baptismal dress and, with the help of the mortuary men, moved her gently into her coffin. We placed her favorite blanket in her hands. Touching her body was much easier than I imagined it would be. The body felt cold and soft. We moved it with ease. One of the mortuary men promised to place a single pink rose in her hand, as requested by my mom. He kept his promise! Her body held her beauty in sweet compose as we left her there. I will not be afraid to do this again.

No comments: