Monday, August 4, 2008

Home for Mom












Today mom comes home. She has spent some two weeks in the Physical Therapy unit of the Montrose hospital. I love it there. The facility is lovely, the people are great and the food is amazingly delicious. It is a treat to eat there with mom. Mom is busy most of every day but Sunday. She has physical, occupational, and speech therapy every day. I have learned some additional exercises which I put her through in addition to all else. I have found being with mom and exercising her is joyful. I enjoy learning about the effects of the stroke and what can be done to overcome them. Somehow there is an element of excitement in being able to see her improvement and in discovering more ways to help her. I've felt a connection and bond with those who serve her there: Sharon is her main nurse; Paula and Beverly are physical therapists; Jen, Kimry and Micah work with her speech, eyes and mouth; Jeanne is her social worker. Since I'm not at the hospital early enough, I'm not sure who does the occupational therapy but I'm amazed at how many there are who work together to help her.

She has had a good experience even though she longs to be home. She is bright but subdued. She is finally coming to grips with the extent of her handicaps and is doing all she can to work her way out of them. The stroke has changed her brain chemistry, I 'm told, and has created a chemical depression. She is on an antidepressant to address that. I've yet to see her spark, but she is basically positive and pleasant. I enjoy spending time with her and feel quite devoted to helping her recover.

No comments: