Thursday, August 28, 2008

Girls in Colorado











My turn to return to Colorado to care for mom came up on August 12th. I was planning on driving there with Jessica and the kids, but she was delayed leaving so I flew instead. Audrey and Isaiah flew to Seattle and drove with them. They arrived safe and sound on Thursday. For the next 5 days our world was full of 4 women (me, mom, Jes and Audrey) and 4 kids (Isaiah, Gemma, Miles and Peyton). What a lively spirit was brought into mom's little house! We plotted activities that would keep the kids happy and came up with paid jobs followed by a shopping trip to spend the money, a scavenger hunt with treats following and then a treasure hunt with a treasure for the girls and a separate one for the boys. It was such fun! One day we looked up directions for making paper boats on the internet. Who could know that it would lead to hours of making boats, sinking them in the creek and making them again. I loved spending time with the kids. And I loved spending time with my girls. They cooked, cleaned up and helped with gramma. It was a great bond; I was sad to see them go.

Layne flew in to join me on Friday. I was so glad to see him! He took my "honey-do" list and jumped right in working on each one. It is now Thursday and he has done every single thing on the list plus a few more. What a man!

Mom is making improvements every day. It is exciting to see her progress. Her therapists come up with more and more things for her to do and I think up some as well. Mom tries it all. She isn't much for gab, though she is certainly capable of it. She also isn't much for humor though I've read her a bunch of jokes and tease her when the chance comes up. But she is her same sweet person and such a pleasure to serve. Her friends continue to stop by, generating an energy in her that naps don't touch. I can't help feeling such optimism as I see her gain more and more function. This is a sweet time.

Maryanne arrived today, by train. By a greatly delayed train. An 11:00 AM arrival became a 5 PM arrival. But she is here and all is well. We go home on Saturday.

No comments: