Friday, August 8, 2008

A Break at Home

Layne and I flew home from Colorado on Wednesday. I felt such pleasure in working with mother; she is gentle, bright and so appreciative of all that we did for her. But when I walked through our front door I felt overcome by sorrow. It followed me all day. I felt such a loss for my mom. She was so full of life and fruitful activity. Now she must work hard to get her functioning back. I feel very dedicated to helping her do it. But I couldn't shake the sorrow over what has happened. I slugged through dinner and mourned through the evening.

I decided that I needed to get out of myself. Rayne asked me to take photos of her and buddy Caitlin. It was good to get into something outside my personal thoughts. But Thursday provided me with the best opportunity to do so. I had an invitation to attend a luncheon with gals from my school days. I have a hard time walking into social situations cold. But I pushed myself. Upon entering the restaurant I felt comfortable. The gals there welcomed me with embraces and happy conversation. It was so good to see them. Some I met for the first time in many years at the last lunch. But there were some that I saw for the first time since school, at this lunch. It was a total departure from my sorrows to be there. The conversation was fun and bonding. I'm so glad I went. I came home completely renewed. It is good to have a break and catch my breath.

No comments: