Sunday, March 26, 2017

Babysitting to the Max

We committed to son Ben and his wife, Jessica, long ago that we would babysit their children for a week while they took a trip to New York, to celebrate Ben's 40th birthday.  That job came up this past week.  Layne and I flew to California a week and a half ago to begin our babysitting assignment.  The BJ household consists of eight children beginning at 2 years and moving up to 14 years.  Our energy-filled daughter-in-law, Jessica, has all of the children involved in various lessons and activities that would make a normal person's head swim.  Jessica handles it all.  But we needed help to keep up her pace.  Layne did the running around and I maintained the household.  Grandson Scott (son of our son Reed and his wife Dorothy) spent most of the week with us and helped a ton.  Working together we managed to keep up Jessica's pace, plus keep the house in good order and prepare endless meals for the masses.

You may think it is crazy to take on such a demanding job.  Admittedly, it is exhausting.  But it is also rewarding.  We got close to each child and became acquainted with their interests and some of their thoughts and dreams.  For this, I would do the job again, and more.  Relationships are so very precious!

There were fun times.  Here is a selfie with the youngest two, Victoria (Tia), and Olivia.



Tia is a high energy little gal who loves attention and affection.  Here she is getting her share from Grandpa Layne.


Feeding this gang is perhaps the greatest of challenges.  They are in the habit of grazing continually.  I foolishly thought that if I prepared a good breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner I could make a dent in the grazing.  Silly of me.  They simply turned the snack into a lengthy process...finishing it off as the afternoons wore off and then, surprise!  They weren't hungry for dinner.  Hum.  Try as I might I could not change this pattern without locking up all food everywhere.  That being impossible, I made smaller and smaller dinners with low expectations for consumption.  That seemed to work best.

Here is part of the eating gang.


"Oh mom and dad let us play on the computer and watch TV when we got home from school," I was assured.  So when Zach's buddy Ivan showed up EVERY DAY after school, minecraft marathons ensued.  And a little TV too.  But when I told their Dad, it all changed.  He shut down the computers and the TV remotely!  Wow, the power of technology!  The days that followed were a bit quieter.
Here is some of the gang watching the forbidden TV before their Dad interfered.  Note Ivan on the right end of the couch.  Here's William, Zachary, Tia, Jonathan, and....Ivan.  They look pretty innocent, don't they?  No idea here that there is a family rule against watching TV on a school day!


Jessica has season tickets to musicals in San Francisco and one of them came up on the Tuesday we were there.  So she suggested that Alexis and I go.  "Just Uber there," she told me.  Easy as pie.  I've never "Ubered" so I was a little nervous, but I downloaded the app and made the arrangements.  Alexis and I Ubered to San Francisco's Golden Gate Theater to see "Into the Woods."  "It's a tragedy Grandma," Alexis said.  Hum.  I don't like tragedies.  When I seek entertainment, I like to be cheered up; to see happy endings.  But we went.  I liked the whole Uber thing.  Our drivers to and from were very nice men; both immigrants with interesting stories.  

Once there, Alexis, who loves all things theatrical, began reviewing some of her favorite musicals and singing the songs, while we waited to be let into the theater section.  With great enthusiasm she sang and talked and I listened.  Until the theater attendant approached us.  "You have a beautiful voice," he said.  "And lots of people are listening to you sing, so, please stop."  Hum.  What a very nice way to tell her that she was too loud, I thought.  Alexis does have a very nice singing voice, this is true.  

The play was very good; we both enjoyed it.  And although it can be seen as a tragedy (everyone on the story loses someone in death) the ending was a bit uplifting.  Or so I thought.  I worked to explain this more positive spin to Alexis on the way home, but it was a hard sell.

Here is Alexis, the day after out night out.



With the help of Scott, and house cleaners, we got through our week in good shape.  The week Ben and Jessica planned in New York took a rather different turn.  Google called Ben back to work on Monday, in spite of their careful plans to be gone.  He returned to work until Thursday and Jessica stayed in New York, in their accommodations there.  Since they could not get a refund, they flew daughter Jacqueline out to spend a couple days with her mother.  They did in the town and returned Thursday night.  Then Ben and Jessica finished up the week in a local hotel.  So they did have some time together, though not as originally planned.  It pays to be light on your feet!

We are home now.  I took a very long nap on this Sabbath day and am feeling pretty normal.









No comments: