Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Christmas

Christmas with family is the best of all holiday arrangements, to my way of thinking.  We decided to spend ours in California.  Right after our last concert, on Friday the 18th, Layne and I changed clothes, packed up the last of things, and drove to Winnemucca, where we spent Friday night.  We decided to split the drive to CA between two days, and it was such a good move.  We finished our ride Saturday afternoon, arriving in the middle of an Adams-Hart activity at their home in Mountain House.  Cliff's family were all gathered for their Christmas celebration.  It was fun to see Cliffs sibs again and their children.  They all seem to be in a good place.  It was such a busy event that it was easy for us to go unnoticed. So I spent some time walking around the neighborhood, which felt so good after so much sitting.  Sure enough, no one missed me and the walk was lovely.  After everyone's departure, we spent the evening sitting in the living room, with everyone investing in their various devices and, occasionally, talking.  It seems to be the Adams-Hart evening routine.  It's actually quite pleasant.  Here's Audrey and Cliff on a normal evening:

Sunday we went to Church with Audrey and Cliff and Isaiah.  It is a lovely ward, but sparsely attended on that Sunday.  The choir was assigned to sing a song as part of the Christmas Sacrament meeting, but had only three members; two men and a young girl with a very soft voice.  So Layne and I were asked to sing with them.  The five of us sang our Christmas carol, which I'm sure could not be heard past the first several rows.  I include this little tidbit because, for some reason, I was not nervous or scared and was able to sing out in the less than soft tones that is my usual effort. I'm not sure why I was so blessed, but took some comfort in it.

Our other two CA families came to Audrey's and Cliff's Sunday night, where we enjoyed dinner and a talent night.  I take such joy in seeing the kids perform.  We are so fortunate to have good and talented children and grandchildren.  Here's Ben and Jessica's Abigail sharing her talent:

Monday brought the activity with Ben and Jes that made Audrey so upset with me when I told Jes we would join them.  Audrey had something else in mind.  But she got over it and we had an interesting evening taking a street car ride in San Francisco reserved for Ben, Jes and their party, which consisted of three other families.  I spent most of the time holding their baby Olivia,  Even though she is not impressed with me, she let me hold her without getting upset.  Victory!  It was a fun evening with these very nice people, visiting and singing as the cable car took us on a ride through the streets of San Francisco, enjoying the sights and lights.  Jessica organized it all and did a fantastic job of it.  Here's the BJ gang in front of our cable car:

Tuesday I went to lunch with buddy Lyn Hooker at our usual Sweet Tomatoes.  We had a lovely bond for a couple of hours.  We spent the evening with Audrey and Cliff in the pattern described above.  Wednesday we met Reed and Dorothy for lunch, then later for dinner.  I love spending time with my kids; they are such pleasant people.  Thursday was Christmas Eve.  How quickly it seemed to come and I found myself missing the celebrations we had when we lived in CA.  I loved being in the middle of planning and envisioning what I could do to bring pleasure to family members.  Now we follow the plans of others.  But that also is fun and good.

All of the local family met at Reed and Dorothy's for Christmas Eve.  We enjoyed a meal together and a family gift exchange.  Its good to be together for the holidays.  We were again on Christmas.  After a morning of gifts at Audrey and Cliffs, we headed to Ben and Jessica's for Christmas dinner.  Fun, but somehow Christmas seemed understated for me.  I don't know why exactly; perhaps it is because I had so little to do with it.  Perhaps stressing, decorating and planning has been part of my enjoyment of Christmas.  That is something of a revelation!

We went shooting Christmas Eve, daytime.  Here's Audrey with her pistol.  She's a pretty good shot!



Christmas Eve pajama gifts.  Ben, Jessica and all their kids in their look-alike pjs.

Our Christmas Day table, set up at Ben and Jessica's.  Looks like William is the only one read to eat!

We visited foster daughter Michelle on Christmas.  Here she is, in green, with two or her children, Kelsey and Steadman.  Love that family!
We drove home on Saturday.  Audrey and Cliff followed, then led us as we stopped along the way to visit our Mongolian daughter, Bayaraa, and her family.  Wow, what a great family she and her husband, Ryan, have made.  We loved our time with them.  Here they are:  Bayaraa and Ryan with their children, Gordon, Nolan and Gwenalynne.




Here's Chase and Morgan, pregnant with our first Great-grandchild!  Behind them is Isaiah, who preferred his chosen spot for the picture.



 I always have to beg Layne to stop for visits, but once he does he is so glad.  Getting back on the freeway turned out to be quite a challenge as the Google girl became very confused when we asked her for directions and, trusting her, we were led on a merry ride through the countryside and around a lake called Pyramid Lake.  "I've always wanted to see Pyramid Lake," said Layne.  Hum.  Well he did.  And so did I.  It took us over an hour to finally find our way back to the freeway and get on our way.  We didn't arrive home until a good two hours after Audrey and Cliff did.  Chase and Morgan arrived at our house even before that and prepared a nice dinner for us.  So our house welcomed us home and embraced Audrey, Cliff, Isaiah, Chase and Morgan as well.  How sweet it is!

No comments: