Sunday, May 17, 2015

Treble Clef

I've been singing with my singing group, the Treble Clef Singers, for three weeks now.  Saturday night was our last performance, for family and friends.  We've been singing mostly in Old Folks Homes, and a couple other places.  It has all been very comfortable as the audiences are easy to please.  It is a great format for growing confidence.  I'm definitely not as scared of singing in front of people as I used to be.  In informal situations that is.  Singing for friends and family was a bit more stressful, even in a group.  But, much like giving a talk, once we got going the fear left.  My ladies are a lovely group ranging in age from 30s to 70s.  We costume up, make up some choreography and sing.  It has become a very rewarding and fun activity for me.  Our group has adopted Layne as their token male and he performs something at each of our concerts.  So we are the "couple"of the group.  This time around Layne and I sang a duet, "Old Black Magic".  My ladies were very supportive of our efforts.  I found my courage singing this with Layne and learned to belt out my part.  This is a major step for me.  My usual singing effort involves blending in and, if possible, not being heard.  So this was a milestone.  I found that I liked it and was not nervous.  It feels good to face this fear.

Our singing instructors have committed us to sing as a quartet at Church.  Hum.  That is an altogether different kind of singing and it scares me to death.  I may be about over Treble Clef fear but singing in Church crosses the line.  Except in the choir.  Lots of voices there and I can hide if I want to.  But before the summer is over we will be singing in a quartet during sacrament meeting. Sigh.  Face the fear, right?  I'm afraid my voice will turn to a frog.  I'm afraid of singing flat.  I'm afraid of losing my breath.  All the fears overcome in Treble Clef are alive and well in Church.  Can I possibly get over this?

It has been stormy this week.  I love it.  Thunder storms are to continue throughout the coming week. It is an open week!  I have all sorts of plans for accomplishing my own personal goals.  Here's hoping I can stay the course.

Our singing group at the Friends and Family performance.
I'm in the back, in the green hat.  Good view, eh?
 

No comments: