Sunday, May 3, 2015

"Must Change"

The blossoms of spring are gone and replaced by the green leaves of early summer.  Our yard is bursting forth with life of all sorts.  The sound of birds fill the air, along with the sweet smells of our lilac trees.  Green fills my vision as I look out on our expanse of grass.  Layne's care has turned our yard into a green heaven.  Several neighbors have told us that we have the loveliest lawn in the neighborhood!  As I look upon all this beauty, I imagine how nice it would be if we could add a gazebo, redo the deteriorating deck left over by the previous owners, plant more flowers and trees.  "Must change," Layne tells me, mocking my dream.  He is slow to share my vision!  Of course it would probably work better for me if I simply appreciated all that he has already done.  I'm trying to do that.  I do appreciate it.  I really do.  But I have this vision...

The kitties are spending some of their nights
outside now.  But by morning they are eager
for breakfast.  Here is one of them looking in
our bedroom window, greeting us as we get up and
pleading for food.
Our spring.  One of the lilac bushes is at left.
Our spring concert has begun.  My singing group has performed 8 times already.  It is uplifting, energizing and exhausting all at the same time.  The duet that Layne and I sing is so far going pretty well I think.  We even sang it at a wedding reception on Friday.  I'm rambling on about this because I am usually scared to death to sing in front of people.  Unless I'm part of a good sized group.  But I don't feel afraid singing with Layne.  Maybe it is the song.  We are singing "Old Black Magic".  It is not serious, but fun to sing.  Mistakes can be absorbed into the presentation.  I like that.  So, amazing as I find it to be, I'm actually enjoying singing!

Layne, you know, is a serious kind of guy.  He isn't much into recreation but prefers to be productive. That is where his joy comes.  I've become more of that kind of person also.  His influence is pretty powerful.  With is in mind, I was amazed to hear him talk about buying a couple of ATVs from a couple we served in the temple with.  It seems they want to go on a mission and decided to sell their ATVs and trailer to finance it.  The price was very good, so Layne went for it.  Us and ATVs.  Who knew?  Layne is talking about going on ATV trips with another temple buddy and actually having some recreational fun!  I'm amazed.  And pleased.  Is this an example of "must change" perhaps?

Lately I am filled with thoughts about how much our lives have changed since moving here.  We are doing things we've never done before.  I never thought that, by this time in our lives, so many new experiences would present themselves.  While I still miss my family, I can't help but enjoy and be grateful for these new adventures.  I feel myself expanding, in good ways.  I'm grateful for it.


Daughter's art.  This was done by Jessica.

Audrey drew this.  I love them both and have framed
them alike to hang together.  My daughters, the artists!

No comments: