Sunday, July 27, 2014

Our Yearly Reunion

Monday found Reed and family, along with us, heading for Oregon for the family reunion that daughter Jessica and hub Chris arranged for us.  We headed for the town of Sisters, near Bend, Oregon.  As we drew near, we caught a glimpse of some beautiful mountains in the distance.  Three of them.  "They are the Three Sisters," Layne told me.  They are sometimes called Faith, Hope and Charity.  So came the name of the little town of Sisters.

In the distance you can see the Three Sisters.

Our back yard, complete with a lake.

We stayed in a large home in a recreational development called Black Butte Ranch.  All of our children came except Gerald and his family.  We were hoping for them to join us but July turned out to be a bad time for them to come.  But they have promised to come for Christmas!  We were also missing Audrey's husband, Cliff.  He had to work.  True also for Audrey's two oldest children.  But everyone else was there.  It was a loud, busy, happy time.  The development where the house is located had many activities inserted into the roads that wound throughout the neighborhood.  There was swimming, tennis, biking, golf, sports fields, play areas, picnic areas, boating, etc.  Wow.  It was more than we could possibly fit into a mere 5 days.  But we tried.  There was a hot tub on the back patio of our house.  I was looking forward to wonderful, starry nights in that tub, with the deep conversations that would surely emerge as we would crowd into the warm water.  But the kids spied the tub right away and lived in it much of the time.  Somehow spending time there, after many children did, became a bit unappealing.  So not an adult toe entered those waters.

Kids in the hot tub.  It was a daily experience.

But there was much else to do both outside and inside the house.  We played games, watched movies on the wall of the living room, went boating and biking and visited.  Each family prepared a day of meals, except Layne and me.  We became the clean-up crew.  I really don't mind doing that; I have developed a real sense of pleasure in making things look clean and neat.  And that was needed many times a day.

Our youngest granddaughter, Victoria (daughter of Ben and Jes).

Scott (Reed and Dorothy's eldest), who will be leaving on a mission to Thailand in November.


Monkey business in one of the local parks.  Gemma (daughter of Chris and Jes) is the victim.

All the children spent many fun hours together.  My two Jessica's spoke of the blessings that come from spending extended family time together by mentioning the many benefits for children in knowing that they have family who know and love them, no matter what.  I felt that as a child and I hope these children do too.  I have come to realize that family is absolutely the most important thing.  It is worth every sacrifice.  I so hope that my children will continue to seek each other out after Layne and I are gone.

My two Jessicas; daughter and daughter-in-law.

While spending this fourth fun packed week with family was fun, I have felt my age, perhaps more here than before.  Maybe because I was tired.  I found that I couldn't ride one of the many bikes stored in the garage.  I just couldn't balance.  I also had trouble keeping my balance getting in, and especially out, of the boat we rented on the nearby lake.  I wasn't much good at frisbee either.  Tired?  Old?  Perhaps a bit of both.  But I am only willing to give in to old with gritted teeth.

The whole Black Butte family!

Dorothy and Reed, with son James in the background.

Audrey, perhaps speaking to missing hub, Cliff.

Layne, kissing Victoria's neck.  She loved it.

Daughter Jessica and hub Chris, the reunion masterminds.


Benjamin and his Jessica.

We drove home on Saturday morning, after cleaning everything up.  It was a wonderful time together and I think we all felt blessed by it.  Layne went to bed early every night during the reunion.  I stayed up with the kids every night.  Perhaps that is why I have crashed a bit this weekend.  I awoke last night with pressure in my chest.  It scared me; I thought of all the worst scenarios.  It lingered for several hours.  I walked, rode the stationary bike, drank, sat, laid down, and, finally prayed.  Soon after that the pressure let up and I slept the rest of the night....and all through Church today.  Perhaps the old girl just isn't up to so much activity.  Perhaps.  But I wouldn't want to have missed it.    

No comments: