Sunday, July 6, 2014

A House Full of Kids

A few years ago, in Fremont, CA, Layne was a Young Men's President.  One of his boys was a fellow named John Adams.  He and Layne became good friends.  John moved on, graduated from college and got a master's degree and became a teacher.  He married Anika and together they have five children, so far.  John and Anika decided it was time to reconnect with us, so they drove here from Nebraska with their five little ones.  We spent this past week together.  From the start I liked the children.  They are bright and outgoing, and, like many young children, they reached out to us with love and affection.  So I spent a great deal of time with them, playing, setting up projects and reading to them.  During much of the time they confronted me with, "Anadeane, would you...; Anadeane can I...Anadeane, I'm hungry," and so on.  I felt quite booked up with kid projects.  It was exhausting work.  I wonder how I managed it with my own five over all the years it takes to raise children.  But sweet bonds emerged very quickly between me and the children.  That is worth all the effort.  Relationships are a lot of work, but the rewards are indeed sweet.


We bought a fireworks kit at Costco to use with the Adams children on Thursday.  Most of it was smoke.  We are underwhelmed.


Anika and John Adams with their children.  Middle:  Annalee and John.  Bottom:  Gideon and Drake.

                                Me with Annalee, Gideon, Drake and John.
Me with Annalee, Gideon, Drake and John.
During their visit, our kitchen was transformed, as we acquired more granite countertops, new sink and faucet.  Somehow, even with the kitchen chaos, we managed to eat just fine.  And I love the new kitchen!  The Adams family left for home last Friday.  Clean-up quickly followed as this coming week promises to be a busy follow-up to last.  Ben and his two boys are coming today, as well as my Temple friend Nikki and her daughter, Heather.


                                                                           Here's our new counter top, sink and faucet.








New granite and tile above.  I like it.


Friday was Independence Day.  We spent it with our friends Pat and Larry Green, at their house.  They host a big gathering every year and we were invited to join in.  So we took friend Phyllis Salsedo and enjoyed an afternoon and early evening there.  Pat is a very creative girl.  One of the things she does is organize a neighborhood parade each year that involves many of her guests.  We turned our old truck into a ship to represent the Boston Tea Party and joined the procession.  Every parade needs music, so we bought a karaoke machine that runs on batteries, connected our cell phone to it and boomed out patriotic music as we marched along the neighborhood.  Kids and adults got into the act as we moved down a couple of neighborhood blocks, turned around and came back.  It was a simple thing really, and there was not much in the way of audience except from our own group, but somehow it was so uplifting and fun.


Our parade truck as the Boston Tea Party.  The side boat panel was painted by the Adam's kids.

                               Some of the parade participants.

We promised our neighbors that we would enjoy the local fireworks at their house, so we left the Greens in time to do that.  Their son Evan was so sad that we were leaving as he was giving a special performance, using various fireworks that he spun around in all sorts of interesting configurations.  We didn't see his performance but he showed me videos of past ones he has done.  "It is my time to shine," he said.  Evan is a grown man, but with some special needs that seem to limit what he is able to do.  But he is a pure-hearted man who dreams of doing more with his life.  If he only knew what to do, and how.  I felt it was a mistake to leave without seeing his performance, but Layne pressed for it, so we watched the fireworks that fill this valley with our friends, the Wintersteens.  Since it doesn't get dark here until after 10 PM, it made for a very late night.

I love the patriotism that fills this valley.  The people here are unabashedly patriotic, and they celebrate!  There were fireworks shows in every local town.  They filled the sky around us, as they exploded in every direction.  In addition, many have their own home based fireworks.  All joined together in a magical display.  There were parades in many of the towns during the day as well.  Lots of flag waving here.

Saturday morning promised to be an opportunity to sleep in and rest up.  But I awoke with an impression that I needed to go to Pat Green's, to help with clean-up.  So I headed over there and did help with some of the clean-up.  But I also talked to Evan about his fireworks performance.  He showed me the video of it.  As I watched I was so impressed with his skill.  And I was struck with an idea.  I suggested to him that he market his fireworks act.  Why not?  He loves it, it is unique and so impressive.  I believe he could sell it as entertainment at conferences, parties, weddings and etc.  As I suggested it to him, his face lit up.  Perhaps it could be the beginning of a unique and fulfilling career for him, if he has the courage to pursue it.  I believe the reason I felt impressed to go to Pat's was for Evan.

I'm tired.  But the rest of July looks to be filled with people and activities.  So I'm going to "buck up" and enjoy it.


                                     Layne at the Green's on Independence Day.







 


No comments: