Sunday, October 13, 2013

Projects and Such

We attended our first Addiction Recovery meeting last Sunday night.  I was in the ladies meeting; Layne attended the guys.  There is lots of structure to the meeting.  Not sure how I feel about that.  It seemed to me that the real sharing happened after the formal meeting was over.  But I decided to withhold serious judgment until after we are much more exposed to the program and I've studied the materials. We attended our second meeting tonight. I realize that the 12 steps to overcoming addiction that the ladies are working through are the steps of repentance, organized in a workbook format.  It is a proactive approach to using the Atonement.  I think members of the Church, me included, tend to dabble with repentance instead of diving in and using it in a meaningful, life-changing way.  I love the idea of doing the work of repenting that the 12 steps promotes.  I'm going to use it along with the ladies in the group and see where it takes me.  I believe that truly getting close to the Savior requires that we use His gift of the Atonement.  I'm going to try and use it more effectively.   I hope, with the Lord's help, we may be able to make a contribution to this program in some way.  After teaching another sunday school lesson to 12 years olds today that went poorly, I'm ready for a change.

I'm not a finisher.  And I struggle to organize my time efficiently.  I'm more of an idea person.  My mind tends to fill with them as one idea leads to another.  The trouble is, as I begin work on one project, my mind comes up with a new one.  I tend to switch to it so as not to lose it.  So I wind up with a collection of things started but not finished.  Sigh and sign again.  This week I was determined to finish just one of my collection of unfinished projects and I almost made it.  Perhaps I can report the thrill of a project completed next week.  I'll make a sincere effort.

I have no pictures this week so I thought I'd include this picture that I love.
While most of the people I know cannot begin to relate to this sentiment,
it captures my feelings precisely.  Don't hold that against me!
For a number of years I've heard about the wonderful benefits of yoga from a variety of friends.  This past week, for the first time, I was talked into actually taking a class.  I went to my first one on Wednesday.
The moves were slow and not too difficult.  Essential oils, dim lighting and soft music contributed to the calmness we were supposed to feel as we stretched into unique and interesting positions.  All that gentle movement made me sore; that's a good sign it seems to me.  I think I might like this.

No comments: