Sunday, October 20, 2013

Lost and Found

Not long ago I noticed that my wedding band had broken in half.  I wore it out!  What a great time to get my diamond reset, I thought.  So we visited a jeweler that my son-in-law recommended.  He had some nice options.  I selected a thick white gold band which he said he could set my diamond in.  I was excited.  We picked it up several weeks later and I've worn it ever since.  But on Thursday, as I was washing up for the day, I happened to look at my ring and the diamond, complete with prongs, was missing!  Just a little indention in the band remained where it had been.  I had been home all day but could not imagine where that diamond could have gone.  It could have been anywhere in the house or outside.  I said a little prayer that somehow I would find it.  Then I felt something hard under my toes.  I looked down and there it was!  It felt like a sweet blessing from the Lord.  I'm sure He didn't care whether or not I had a diamond but I surely did and He honored my wish.  I'm grateful!

Layne tells me often to slow down.  I seem to find myself running from one thing to another most of the time.  I can't explain why I do it.  There seems to be a voice inside of me that presses me to be productive every minute.  Yesterday I planted some lavender plants from a neighbor and, as I worked outside, the warmth and beauty of the day seduced me.  I found myself sitting in the little bench on the side of our yard and just, you know, relaxing!  A gentle breeze blew through the thinning trees and the sun shone down upon us, the trees and me, in a magical way.  I sat there for some time, taking in all the fall beauty.  The cats soon joined me.  Cherry, the black and white one (and my personal favorite) sat beside me and received my strokes and tummy scratches with happy purrs.  There we sat in total pleasure for some time.  Layne decided to mow the lawn and he rode by, enjoying his riding machine, in the sunshine.  I felt totally and absolutely at peace.

I suppose that there is something to be said for sitting still.  Absolutely still.  
Cat Cherry, sitting beside me in the yard.
Layne mowing.
Fall at work.
Our perfect fall day, looking over the back yard.
The other cat, Tangie, staying close by my bench,
but not too close by.

No comments: