Sunday, December 23, 2012

Almost Christmas

It was just a few days ago that I was patting myself on the back for being so prepared for Christmas.  It was early in the season after all.  I looked forward to open time for actually thinking about Christ and reading the collection of Christmas readings that we have accumulated over the years.  But then I got a new idea for a family gift.  Gifts actually.  This is a mental trap that I seem to fall into every Christmas.  Wouldn't you think I'd learn from this?  Not this year.  I decided to make some art gifts.  So I busied myself creating a pastel drawing for each of our children.  Will they like them?  That is always a guess, but, even if they don't like the art, perhaps they will consider theirs a memory of me.  Maybe.

So it is that Christmas Eve will appear tomorrow and I don't quite have all prepared for it.  But almost.  All of life seems to be speeding by for me now.  I see, now that I am more advanced in years, that this joy ride will end in the not too distant future.  And, just like Christmas itself, it will come unexpectedly fast.  And, perhaps, like Christmas, I will think of things at the last minute that need to be done before I can leave.  Hum.  Perhaps I am getting a bit too philosophical.

One of the many blessings of being here for Layne is that he is part of a quartet that has been performing during the Christmas season.  He loves to sing.  His group just finished several concerts on Temple Hill, where each evening of the season is filled with some kind of musical performance.  (Our Nutcracker ballet began the season.)  I was blessed to hear Layne's concert on Wednesday.  I LOVED it!  They sang lively and unusual renditions of Christmas music that filled the room with wonder and warmth.  I think that presenting the familiar in an unusual way can be very powerful.  It calls the mind to open up and notice.  The room was filled for both performances and included friends that we haven't seen for awhile.  That was nice too.

Layne's quartet (L to R): Clayton Gardener, Audrey (the pianist and part-time singer),
Layne, Jennifer Richey, Dianna Fife) 

One of my poinsettia drawings that I did for the kids.

Rain this morning, again.  But a lovely rainbow made its appearance
for a brief period.  
Parties and bonding have filled our holidays.  We've loved it.  The rain has filled our days of late as well.  It feels like we've had as much rain in the past month as we did all last winter.  I love that too.  All is green and lush.  What a lovely Christmas setting.  Today we sing and I teach at Church.  I'm looking forward to it.  Then the rush of concentrated Christmas will descend.  I'm almost ready.

No comments: