Sunday, November 4, 2012

Some Clarity

"Quit asking the kids what they think of our moving away," Layne told me yesterday.  He clarified for me that it is not up to our children where we should live.  I want to be near them, but the best place for us seems to be away from them.  Boise calls.  It calls because we can live comfortably there, with enough savings to take care of us for what remains of our lives.  It is important to us not to become financially dependent.  Layne wants to ensure that there will be enough money to meet my needs should something happen to him.   He has always wanted to take care of me; to plan for a secure future for me.  I love him for that.  It is important to Layne to live someplace that gives him labor and usefulness.  He really wants to go to Boise, where we can have an affordable, comfortable home on a little land.  So, we will go to Boise.

I had an unusually sweet experience at a doctor's office this past week.  I saw a new doctor for a problem with my jaw.  He assured me that it is easily resolved with some rest for an enflamed jaw and, while he was at it, he cured a very sore joint in my finger.  It was a sort of two-for-one experience.  To top it off, we had a lovely, lengthy conversation.  It was altogether one of the most rewarding experiences I've had with a doctor.  It was a happy surprise.

Volunteering is something that appeals to me but I've done little about it.  "Later," I usually tell myself, "when I have more time."  Ah, but when will that ever be?  So I offered to help at the poles this year.  I now find myself in charge of a precinct.  In charge.  I'm not experienced in this, you understand.  It's a little scary to be in charge!  So I've been cramming for the job.  I read the materials each day hoping that I can get all the instructions into my brain and remember them.  Review is the secret to memory, right?  In two days I'll test my theory.

Ben and Jessica's Halloween goblins

Ben and Jessica's youngest, Jonathan,
less than enthusiastic about his costume.
Halloween has come and gone with little celebration at our house.  It still doesn't seem right.  So I was happy when daughter-in-law Jessica invited us to come and spend a little time with her babes on Halloween.  We partook of the Halloween spirit through them; enjoying their enthusiasm and costumes.  Then we came home, ate a quiet dinner, and enjoyed a peaceful evening, with no trick or treaters in sight.  It's too far to come to our country house.  Boo.

No comments: