Sunday, November 11, 2012

Awfully Busy in the Dark

Living in the dark is always an adjustment for me.  I love the winter, except for the dark.  Sunday our daylight ended at 6.  Its a time for candles and holiday lights.  Perhaps that is some consolation.  That, and the hills are beginning to turn green.

Our local children gathered for our extended family home evening on Sunday.  Layne talked to them about us moving to Boise; the hows and the whys.  I think it cleared the air, and settled in my mind once and for all that we will make that move.  I think it was good for the kids to hear the reasoning behind our decision.  They seem supportive.

Tuesday was election day.  I had difficulty sleeping for the two nights preceding it.  I was in charge of a precinct, remember.  Monday night was supposed to be our set-up night.  Layne and I took our ahead- of-time election stuff and waited for over an hour for the custodian to show up to open the room we would be using.  She never came.  So Tuesday morning we had to set up everything the hour before the polls opened.  Stress.  Worry.  Sweat.  The blessing in it was that another precinct was right next to us.  Their workers were quite experienced, so they helped us quite a bit.  Especially their inspector, Carol.  We bonded over our mutual responsibility.

As it turned out, all of my workers were new to the job.  But in spite of that, all went well.  Lots of voters showed up and it turned out to be fun to meet and greet them.  My lady assistants all loved it.  The time passed fairly quickly, considering that we were there from 6 AM to 9 PM.  The only unpleasantness came from a few democratic voters who were a bit brazen in their contempt for the republican cause.  But we all kept our cool.

I didn't check the election results that night at all.  Therefore I slept well.  Early the next morning before we left for the temple we read the results.  I didn't realize how invested I was in the hope for a republican victory.  Obama for another 4 years.  Will we survive it with our freedoms in tact?  I doubt it.  In spite of all of our efforts and prayers, Obama is victorious.  It feels like a political darkness has settled over our land.  I could hardly speak for disappointment all the way to the temple.  My temple ladies and I talked at various times throughout our morning about it and by the time we left I felt much better.  What else can we do but adjust.  Adapt.  So I will.

I was given a lovely diversion from things political Wednesday night when I taught the Young Women at Church how to make pie pastry.  It turned out to be fun.

Thursday morning, early, Layne and I headed to the airport to stand-by for a flight to Seattle and a visit to daughter Jessica and her family.  We got the flight and arrived as planned.  Jessica runs a used bookstore so we spent quite a bit of time there.  I always find books there to buy and this time was no exception.  What fun to be immersed in books and reading opportunities.  I have the terrible habit of starting lots of books that I really do want to read.  Yet I rarely finish a book.  I get distracted.  Or sleepy.  I seem to be a woman on the move.  You have to sit still to read.  Oh, can I ever discipline myself to finish what I start?

We had a great time with Chris and Jes and their three kids.  Seattle was cold, but sunny and the people were friendly, so our time there was fun and bonding.  We came home Saturday night.  The flights were full so we bought tickets on another airline. What luxury to go to the airport knowing that our seats were assured.  It made the trip home lovely.

Chris and Jessica's son, Miles, plays for me.
He did a great job.

Jessica inside her book store, Bumbershoot Books.

Me, surrounded by books in Jessica's store.

Layne in Jessica's back room, checking out an
old family Bible.  We bought it!

The outside of Jessica's bookstore.
Wow.  What a week.


No comments: