Sunday, April 1, 2012

Something Finished

I'm happy to report that I did finish Ben's childhood scrapbook.  We took it and all the other memorabilia from his childhood to Ben's home on Monday night.  I think he was pleased with it.  Certainly he was surprised.  At least I think he was.  Our family is not what I would call an emotionally open one.  That means that we don't let our feeling spill out randomly; not without some thought.  What I like about that is that there is a peaceful theme that runs throughout our relationships with our children.  What I don't like about that is we often don't know what feelings lurk behind the scenes.  If I could start again I think I'd like to create an atmosphere where more emotion and feelings were shared.  I don't know how to do that, of course.  If I did I would have done so by now.  Besides, there is no going back, so it seems the best thing to do is just enjoy my family as it is.

Here is Ben and Jessica's son William opening a birthday present.
We celebrated his April birthday at our extended Family Home Evening tonight.

Here is much of our gang watching William open his gifts.  Quite a crowd, eh?
Two of our grandsons spent several days with us.  Vincent and Timothy are Reed's sons.  They visited with us so Layne could help them build their Pinewood Derby cars.  Layne is the kind of guy who figures out how to do whatever needs doing.  Our sons seem to depend upon this particular gift that he has.  The guys got their cars finished and we enjoyed them very much.  Grandparenting is fun, especially when the crowd is small and there is a chance for a little one-on-one.

That was not possible today, when all the local kids came over to watch the Church's General Conference, eat dinner and a experience a Family Home Evening.  When all of us are together there seems to be no way to avoid a certain level of chaos.  But it's fun too.  And exhausting.  Once everyone goes, there is major clean-up, then we fall into bed.

Layne has given two patriarchal blessings using his new system of depending upon what comes to him at the actual time of the blessing.  I think he has hit upon a system that works for him.  The blessings are lovely and more personal using this system.  He feels more relaxed and more trusting that the Lord will actually speak to him.  It's a spiritual leap for him.  I think he feels like the light is beginning to dawn within him regarding this assignment.  I'm happy for him.

This coming week our home goes on the market.  I'll be in St. George, visiting my friend Trudy Ostler.  I think I'm happy to be gone for this beginning of the end of our time here.  

No comments: