Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Friends and Travels

We've been planning and anticipating a visit from our Colorado friends Cliff and Elaine Conlon for several weeks.  Layne investigated a variety of places to go and things to do.  He is not much for doing things like that so I look forward to company that does.  I'd like to go and do a bit more but happily settle for what my man prefers:  staying home.  When that is possible.

Elaine and Cliff arrived Monday of last week.  We presented our array of possibilities to them.  Guess what they most wanted to do?  Stay home!  So we did.  Except for going to the movies and going out to dinner once, we hung out and bonded right at our house.  Cliff and I almost share a birthday so we celebrated both.  It was low key but very nice.  Considering that this upcoming year will be my last to be a 60-something, perhaps I should have indulged myself a bit more!

Cliff and Elaine Conlon, eating breakfast a little too early for smiles.
We had lots of fun with them.

The brown hills of home.  We've not had rain since a September sprinkle.
Finally rain was expected this past weekend...and it came!

Layne living the good life in First Class, on our way to Taipei, Taiwan.
Cliff and Elaine left on Thursday and we spent the day packing for a trip to Taiwan, to visit son Gerald and his family.  Friday morning we took BART to the airport and were blessed to catch the only flight to Taiwan on United for the day, which took us to Narita, Japan (transferring to Taipei from there).  When we've made this flight in the past we've always managed to get First Class seats.  I was anticipating the sweetness of this tradition all morning as we waited for a seat assignment.  We watched Business Class fill up, then First Class.  Ohhhh.  I was so disappointed!  But we did get on the airplane.  I must remind myself that getting on is the goal.  It's interesting how easily we get used to the good life and begin to think of it as our right.  I felt a bit ticked that we didn't get our usual luxury seats.  But why should I think if that as my "right" when we are not paying our own way?  I kept telling myself that getting on was a blessing.  And it was.  But I mourned my lost adventure in First Class as I sat in a middle seat in coach, sandwiched between Layne and a young man who would only eat kosher.

The good news is that we arrived in Nartia safely and early.  More good news:  the flight from Narita to Taipai was all luxury.  We got First Class!  So for three hours it was nothing but pure comfort and delicious food.  Gerald and granddaughter Rayne were there to meet us and all has gone well ever since.  Except I can't seem to get enough sleep!

No comments: