Monday, January 16, 2012

Crowded Times

This picture was taken in September, at Mongolian
daughter Brynn's wedding.  She just sent it to us.
I think it is better than most.

Sunday birthday celebration for granddaughter Abigail, who turned 3.

Another January birthday; grandson Bruce tuned 1.

Two of our boys; Ben on the left, Reed on the right.
January is usually a nice, quiet time that is perfect for Holiday recovery.  But this January is turning out to be very busy indeed.  After our shift at the temple on Wednesday we were notified that my friend Rosemary Howard died.  I have mentioned her in an earlier blog but, to refresh, I have known Rosemary since moving to Fremont some 40 years ago.  She is about my age and the mother of 8 children.  When she was 55 she was in an automobile accident that resulted in a head injury.  After that incident she slid into an Alzheimer's type condition.  She quickly lost her mental capacity and shrank down to a fetal position, unable to do anything on her own.  Her husband, Zip, cared for her for the next 11 years, until this week.  Some of the children helped, but basically Zip was the one who was there for her every day.  He has been very devoted and anxious not to lose her, even in her extreme condition.  Perhaps that is why she lasted for such a long time.

Her daughter asked me to help dress the body.  I dreaded it, but met her at the mortuary on Thursday morning.  I did not want to see her fragile little body again, but it tuned out to be a sweet experience.  I can't quite put into words why it is.  I found it true when I helped dress our granddaughter Carmen and when I helped dress Mother.  Were those recently departed ones there with us?  I don't know.  But something sweet happens with this tender service of dressing.

I was also asked to speak at the funeral on Friday.  Boy did I sweat that out.  Rosemary's husband and 7 of her eight children are not active in the Church as Rosemary was.  They were in deep mourning.  What could I say?  I worked, prayed and worried.  By Thursday night I had a talk put together.  After I went to bed more ideas came to mind.  I got up and wrote them down.  When I awoke, more came to me.  I integrated it all and headed for the funeral.  I believe it turned out well.  It seemed to.  I hope Rosemary was pleased.  I hope it comforted the family.  I felt a warm, sweet spirit as I presented it.  But I was sooooo glad when it was over!

Friday afternoon we headed out for a get-away in Sonoma.  If you know Layne at all you know that he is not keen on such things.  He'd much rather stay at home with familiar habits and sights.  Just about any adventure I suggest to him is met by the same response.  "Let's just stay home."  But this time there was a  little outside pressure.  My high school buddy, Lyn Hooker, and her husband asked us to go.  We committed to it in November.  I bribed Layne by telling him that I would pay for the weekend out of my inheritance money so he should just relax and have fun.  So, off we headed, right after the funeral.

We arrived at a very nice, vintage hotel (Fairmont Sonoma) about 2:00.  Lyn and Jimmy arrived shortly afterwards.  We went to lunch and then settled in our hotel rooms.  We came to this particular place because Lyn, a lover of food and cooking, wanted to eat at the French Laundry, a very famous restaurant.  When she discovered that the cost was $265 a plate, she shrank and settled instead for another restaurant run by the same famous chef that cooked at the French Laundry.  Our dinner reservation was late so Lyn and I had facials at the hotel.  Wow.  For a mere $175 we experienced an hour of luxurious massage and all sorts of facial potions and rubbings.  I have to say that I loved every minute of it.  But the tight-wad in me will not do it again any time soon.

Lyn had no idea how to get to the restaurant in Yonksville.  It was supposed to be near our hotel.  But it turned out to be some 30 miles away.  No problem I assured them.  My iphone would show us the way.  Trouble was, I'd never actually used that iphone function.  So things got a bit mixed up on the way.  Ok, we got lost.  We finally made it though, and entered a small and very noisy restaurant, late but still able to get our reserved (two months ahead) table.  The famous food was good.  I'm no gourmet so I must admit that I wouldn't travel there again just for the food.  It was lovely but so are a lot of other places.  Still, it was an adventure.  Layne and I had a lovely bond.  There was something about being away with nothing to worry about that opens a person up.  I felt almost giddy with happiness at being away on this outing.  I think Layne enjoyed it in spite of himself.  We had a wonderful time.

The near-by kids came over yesterday to celebrate our January birthdays (there are 5 of them, including mine!).  It was a fun time.  Ben and Jes are all moved out of their rental and in an extended stay.  Did I mention that the owner of their home sold it and asked if they would be willing to break their lease and move out by January 16th?  She sweetened the deal considerably by offering to pay them $50,000 if they would do it.  Is there any question that they would?  Ben seems to fall into deals.  There must be something in his persona that makes things like this happen.  It looks like they have found another place that will open up the middle of next month.  So we will all chip in and help them move yet again.  Wow what chaos.  But rich chaos!

No comments: