Sunday, May 15, 2011

Kisers


Since Mom has been home from the hospital we have been talking about a get-together with our local Kiser relatives. The Kisers I'm referring to consist of my father's brother, Uncle Mike, and his two children (my cousins) Michael and Judy. We had a date with them for dinner last Saturday afternoon. It involved traveling to San Francisco, where Michael lives. Mom really wanted to go. Saturday morning she was all for it. I began helping her get ready about 1:00. "I don't think I'm up to going," she said then. I could see that she was torn; she is a people girl and really wanted to make this journey. Yet she felt weak and tired. It was hard for her to give up the trip. I took her picture and recorded a message to the family from her so that they could feel her spirit even though she wasn't there. We tucked her back into her favorite chair, put on some music and left her in the care of the kids downstairs.

We made the 50 minute drive to Michael's home in Brisbane (by San Francisco) without Mom. It felt funny to be just the two of us. I teased Layne that he was taking me out on a date at last. He isn't big on such things, you see. After our arrival at Michael's home we remembered that he has very steep stairs leading to his front door. Thank goodness we didn't bring Mom. How would we have ever managed to get her inside! We had a great time bonding with those Kisers. They enjoyed the message from Mom and were fascinated with the means of that message: my iphone. "What's that thing called?" Judy asked. In case you are wondering, all of them are "tech-retarded". I had such fun showing them all the tricks my little phone can do. They were full of "ooohs" with each function.

I have wonderful childhood memories of my Kiser relatives. As a grown-up I've discovered a few skeletons in the Kiser closet, but when we were children, all was sweet and loving. Though our lives have taken very different directions over the years, when we are together there is friendship and loving connections. I love spending time with them. Not many of the older generation are left now. My Uncle Mike is 91, just two years younger than Mom. His wife Bette is not far behind him. Once they are gone, WE are the older generation.

Pictures: Top is Mom just before we left to go to Michael's. Bottom is the local Kiser gang:
L to R: Stan Perry (Judy's husband), Helen (Michael's significant other for many years), Judy Kiser Perry, Michael Kiser, Bette Kiser (Uncle Mike's wife) and Uncle Mike (Daddy's younger brother).

No comments: