Sunday, September 27, 2009

You Never Know


More and more I identify with my mom's frustrations. Imagine, if you can, being without the use of your right leg and arm, your emotions being "flattened", your mind less able to hold onto all that it is used to thinking about. It is a depressing condition to be in. One could easily wonder what in the world is the use of going on. It is hard now to know what Mom is thinking. She speaks much less often. But her determination to improve and function as she once did such a short time ago is amazing and exemplary. I try to duplicate her therapy on the days the therapist is not here. She does all I ask her to do. She surprised us a couple of days ago with her progress. As I looked into her face, it seemed to me that her eyes were especially sparkly. Instead of asking her if she wanted to rest, I asked her if she wanted to walk. She said she did. So we set her up with her walker in the kitchen. Away she went, walking around her long island counter not just once, as usual, but three times! She wasn't finished; she then walked up her ramp into the family room. Then we went outside and she walked half way down the barn yard to inspect the newly stacked hay. But she still wasn't done. She then walked on the grass in the backyard. We were amazed at her! While in all probability she will not walk much most of the time, we simply do not know! She may yet surprise us all and achieve her dream of walking freely. I'm not going to tell her it can't be done!

Fall is coming. The colors are turning. I notice them each morning that I go walking with my Colorado friend, Elaine. Fall is a magical time here. The colors simply take you away to a better place! I hope we are here to see the peak of Colorado color. With it comes cooler weather. While our California family roasts in record heat, it is sweater weather here. In fact, there have been several days when I could not get warm. We even lit the wood stove. But fall brings ups and downs. It is warming up again.

I've been working to finish Mom's life story. There is just picture arranging to go. I created a family tree for her book. It turned out so nicely I thought I'd put a copy here.

Apple Fest is coming to Cedaredge, next weekend. It is a city celebration of the apple harvest. Audrey, Allegra, Isaiah, James and Scott are coming for it. Our neighbors, Bev and Ernie Trutner are coming also the end of this week. We have enjoyed our solitude with Mom but anticipate with excitement these upcoming visits.

No comments: