Monday, July 6, 2009

Connections



In the people versus stuff war I often choose poorly. What I mean is, I am so very goal oriented that I let my various projects and assignments take over my life and thus miss opportunities for more important people bonding. But this past week was all about people.

I may have mentioned earlier that we have 5 family birthdays in close proximity in June and July. Most of those 5 took me up on my offer to shop with them rather than accept a gift of my choice. Monday was Audrey's shopping day. We hit gold with our efforts to find things that pleased her. It was a very satisfying shopping effort. And I didn't even buy a thing for myself, which I am often tempted to do when exposed to the array of things to purchase. I remember once again what a joy to my heart it is to please someone else. Especially someone I love a lot.

My son Gerald, the son who lives in Taiwan with his family, is coming to the States next week. He is bringing his own family and some exchange students from their English classes for a month's tour of the West. This time they are beginning their tour in Seattle. The problem is, his car is parked at our place. Getting it to Seattle in time for their arrival became the errand of Audrey and myself. We decided to drive it north on Wednesday afternoon, after my service in the Temple. Audrey loves to drive, so she drove the whole way. We had a lovely time together. We stayed in a motel Wednesday night, in Grant's Pass. Then comfortably on to Seattle, via a short stop at Salem, Oregon, where we visited a special couple named Max and Carol Chancellor. As we drove I marveled once again at the magic of it. It is amazing to be able to move through space at a speed we choose and a temperature quite apart from what nature offers. It was a hot trip, but, for us, in the comfort of a new car, the perfect climate control. The views and the company were lovely and our temporary stay in the motel was comfortable and pleasant. Isn't it an amazing time to live when we can move through our lives in such luxury and comfort?

The Chancellors lost two grown sons in death, within a month of each other. It happened shortly before we lost our own Carmen. Their deaths were a shock that will take some time to get over, as you may imagine. Audrey and I stopped to visit them in Salem on our way to Seattle. It was such a pleasure to spend time with them. You can see Max and Carol here, standing with their daughter, Becky, on their front porch. We talked our way into two hours and toured their beautiful home and yard. They are surrounded by green. I compared it in my mind to our own brown hills and must agree that I prefer green.

We spent what remained of Thursday and Friday with my daughter Jessica and her family in Seattle. Their little daughter, Peyton, turned 5 on Friday. I was happy to be there to celebrate with her. You can see her here opening one of her gifts. Family bonding is such a joy to me. We had a pleasant time living in their world for a day. I am grateful for sweet feelings with family. I appreciate each person and, especially on this Friday, the personalities of Chris and Jessica and their three children.

Audrey and I were blessed to catch an early United flight into San Francisco on Saturday morning. We even rode First Class. That is always a special blessing since we fly stand-by and are lucky to find a seat at all. Lucky we were. We spent most of the week together and it was such a pleasure. I find the company of my children pleasant, to the last one.

Independence Day is important to me. We spent most of Saturday morning preparing for the arrival of the local family and a celebration of our freedom. We ate, played, talked about our Independence and raised a brand new flag in our yard. At the top you can see our littlest granddaughter, Abigail, sporting a patriotic hat. We also celebrated those 5 birthdays I mentioned earlier. It was a joyful time. I hope our grandchildren, and the rest of the rising generation, will catch the importance of our country's system of government. At least the system that was put in place by our inspired Founding Fathers. There is much change on the horizon and it worries me a great deal. We have been so blessed as a nation. Will it continue?

No comments: