Sunday, May 17, 2009

Bonding


We've had a rainstorm recently but, in spite of that, our hills are now brown. I loved the green of winter but, alas, the dryness of summer is already upon us. Still, brown has its beauties.

I was missing the association of close friends when we lived in Fremont. Most of the dearest ones to me had moved away. But now that we are in the Pleasanton area I'm amazed at how many friendships have come my way. It is not just that there are more women my age in our ward here; or that one of them is an old college roommate. It is more. Old friendships seem to be cropping up everywhere. Many of my friends from high school, and even elementary school live nearby! Who knew?! On Saturday I attended yet another luncheon with girls from my school days. I hate to admit that we are a bunch of old birds now, but I see the girls I knew, and enjoy their company very much. In the attached picture some of the girls at the lunch sit, ready to perform "Dooley's Amateur Hour" when we were all in Girl Scouts together in the fifties. I'm in the cowboy hat. How the time flies by!

Cliff and I gave a presentation on the many uses of whole wheat on Thursday evening. It was fun to reacquaint myself with some of the recipes that worked so well, when I was heavy into the use of whole wheat. I made some whole wheat bread for this presentation that turned out very nicely. So I'm enclosing the recipe here, in case you'd like to try it.

WHOLE WHEAT BREAD (makes 2 loaves)

1 3/4 cups milk (I used warm water and powdered milk, added with the flour)
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup warm water
1/3 cup honey
2 eggs
2 tablespoons yeast
5-6 cups whole wheat flour

Combine first 6 ingredients, then add yeast. Mix well. Add flour to cake dough consistency. Let stand 15 minutes. Add rest of flour and knead. Let rise in oiled bowl about 45 minutes minimum. Mold into leaves and rise again. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Don't preheat oven. Remove from pans right away and cool on rack.

I'm grateful for friends, especially this week. We had a great bond with our neighbors, Bev and Ernie Trutner. We seem to fit very nicely together. There seems to be potential friends everywhere in this area. I love that.

No comments: