Sunday, November 30, 2014

A California Thanksgiving

I feel like I am in a fertile field of love and friendship.  Every day we spend here puts us in the way of people that we have known and loved for many years.  It is wonderful to remember that we have a history!  This past week has brought us several happy encounters with family and friends.

My theory in dealing with grown children is basically to keep my mouth shut, unless invited to give advice or suggestions.  I am trying to give only what is asked for, and only in small doses.  I feel like I can look at my children and grandchildren and see much more clearly now what mistakes I have made and what can be done to avoid them with grandchildren.  But I rarely speak of it.  I think that advice is generally poorly received unless requested or presented in the most positive light.

We did some family sealings at the Oakland Temple on Wednesday with Audrey and Cliff.  Our grandchildren, Scott and Allegra provided the names!  I was surprised to see that the Christmas lights were up, BEFORE THANKSGIVING!


I don't mean to suggest that I feel my grandchildren are poorly cared for.  On the contrary, I feel quite joyful about the parenting they are receiving and grateful that the older ones seem to be turning into such good, quality people.  So I have great hopes for the future of our Galbraith, Gendreau and Adams-Hart children.  I am trying to discover what it is that I can contribute to their welfare and have decided that, perhaps, my efforts should center around building family ties through family history, and building patriotism by giving them information about the principles of freedom.  And spending time with them and loving them too, of course.

We had a sweet connection with our Sunol neighbors, Bev and Ernie Trutner.  They are buying a home in Sonoma, which we visited with them this week.  Ernie is having all sorts of health problems and it saddened me to see his struggles.  He is a vibrant, muscular man with a heart of gold.  But he is having problems with balance and prostrate cancer.  He uses a walker now and cannot lift anything.  It is hard to see him diminished, but I have hopes that his condition will improve.  I know it is the time of life for physical decline but it is still hard to see, and harder to anticipate.  The spirit within me still says, "no, not me; I'm not going there."  But I suppose I will.  And I suppose that I will accept what must be.

I helped Jessica rearrange and reorganize the girls' bedroom on Monday.  It was such fun and I think they all liked the results.  We rearranged but didn't finish the reorganization of things.  But the groundwork was laid.  On Wednesday I made 5 pies with the BJ kids for Thanksgiving.  Jess' parents, John and Judy Ault, were there.  I really like them.  When we talk we blend.

Thanksgiving was at Ben and Jessica's.  All the local kids came so the house was packed.  But it was fun to be all together in a blend of chaos and cheer.  It is not hard to give thanks in such happy circumstances.  Everyone contributed to the food, which was abundant and delicious.  Afterward there was a pleasant lingering.  I am so GRATEFUL!

Our Thanksgiving table at Ben and Jessica's home in Palo Alto.  Layne, Cliff, Rayne and Audrey are on the left.  Ben sits at the head of the table (phone in hand), Dorothy is next to him.  The empty place is mine.  Jessica's mom, Judy, is on the right.  Not seen is her husband, John, and Jessica, on the end.  Kids were at another couple of tables.

Ben is serving up his homemade ice cream for Thanksgiving dessert (along with the pies).  His youngest, Victoria, is "helping."

I'm anticipating another wonderful week of bonding and performing in the Nutcracker.  Then we will be homeward bound.  Christmas is in the air!


Grandson Vincent (son of Reed and Dorothy) is playing in a marching band during  small parade on Saturday.  It was such fun to see a hometown parade, supported by lots of onlookers.  It was short but full of lively, good spirits.  We loved it.



No comments: