Sunday, November 2, 2014

A Family Halloween

The saddest time for me here is holiday time.  No family.  I didn't realize how much I had centered family activities around holidays until we came here.  This year I decided to decorate a bit anyhow and it has cheered me.  But what made this Halloween super is that Audrey and Allegra drove here from California on Friday.  They arrived early enough to share dinner and a happy Halloween celebration.  We watched a wacky Don Knotts movie called "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken."  Cute and a light, fun way to touch on the darkness of Halloween sentiments.

Audrey, next to the warmth of the fireplace.

Allegra, eating cottage cheese.  Poor girl is on a soft food diet since having her wisdom teeth pulled.


"You won't have many trick-or-treaters," our neighbor assured us.  But we bought two big bowls of candy anyhow, just in case.  Good thing.  The door bell rang all during the movie and our two bowls were empty by 9:30.  It was a busy night!  I loved this Halloween time.

Now that it is cooling down, I am excited to do develop of my creative ideas for the house.  I painted our hall wall with a family tree awhile ago.  This past week, during a night of insomnia, I printed up and framed pictures of all the family and hung them on the wall tree.  I'm so happy to see it!  It is a pleasure to see everyone, especially since they are all far away.

The Family Tree, filled with family!

It is beautiful here!  The leaves are all sorts of colors and the mountains are dusted with snow, thanks to yesterday's storm.  Our garden is pretty much finished.  I will glean what I can tomorrow morning and then let the garden go.  Layne now has more indoor time; he really misses being outside.  But he doesn't like the cold, so an indoor guy he will be.  I have all sorts of projects in mind to keep him busy.  I just have to delicately talk him into doing them!

The first snow of the season, in the hills.

Fall in our yard.

Audrey and Allegra leave for their home early Tuesday.  I'm going to miss them.






No comments: