Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Birthday Boy

This past week has included a bit chaos as we try to put our home back together after our new hardwood floor was installed.  It is lovely but we can't put rugs on it for another week.  That means our living room, and all that goes in it, must remain stored in other places.  But we did manage to get our china hutch put back in the kitchen.  Two workers from next door agreed to come and lift it for us.  I offered to pay them, but they requested only two glasses of ice water and went on their way.  Such kindness seems to be a way of life for Idaho folk.

Today is Layne's birthday.  49 years ago I met him for the first time, at Church in Chula Vista, California.  He was a helicopter pilot, flying for the Navy at that time, and on his way to Viet Nam.  As I looked into his blue eyes and listened to him, a strong feeling entered my mind and heart and witnessed to me of the purity of his soul.  I felt my own soul wind around his at that time.  I felt that he was absolutely trustworthy.  It was a year later that we met again.  The feeling was renewed.  So when he asked me to marry him, I felt absolutely sure it was the right thing to do.

That feeling about him of years ago has been confirmed over the years of my life with him.  His capacity for love and unselfishness consistently given has blessed my life.  Through the rough times in our relationship, that feeling given to me of him at the beginning comforted me and reassured me that my life with him was right and good.  Over time the rough parts of our relationship have smoothed until now, on his 74th birthday, I can confirm that my youthful choice of him as husband has been a blessing beyond my expectations.  We are happy together.  In spite of our many differences and conflicting preferences, we have learned to blend and bond.  I love him.

And so, on his birthday, I choose to celebrate him today.  Following is a collection of him during this past year.

                                                      Layne and his twin, Lynn.


                                                           Singing at a FHE gathering.


                                                  4th of July at our friends the Greens.


                                                              Grandfather to Victoria.


                                      With son-in-law Chris Gendreau and son Benjamin.



                        At Idaho City, where we found some Galbraiths at the local cemetery.


                                            At the top of one of the ski runs in Sun Valley.



                                              With friend and neighbor Larry Winterstein.


                                                                In Yellowstone Park.


                                           In front of the Galbraith cabin in Island Park, ID.



No comments: