Sunday, September 28, 2014

Gendreau Bonding

Perfect flooring for me is solid flooring in the public spaces and carpeting in the private ones.  This past week that vision came true for us, at least on the main floor of our house.  While we were away visiting daughter Jessica, Chris and family, workers were busy installing and refinishing hard wood on our main floor.

Jessica in Bumbershoot Books.

In the meantime, Layne and I drove to Seattle (Normandy Park, actually) so that Layne could help Jes with her bookstore records.  We spent most of our time in the bookstore.  Sometimes I forget how much fun it is to just browse the aisles of a good selection of books.  I searched through the art books (it is a tradition with me) and the children's books mostly.  I bought some, as I always do.  I don't want to appear biased in any way, but Jessica's store is the nicest bookstore I've been in.  There are bigger ones for sure, but none match the charm and warmth of her little shop.  Comfortable chairs share space with books, pictures adorn the walls and a fireplace is always burning its welcome.  Music is plays in the background.  There is something to feed every one of our senses.

Jessica and I visited a glass museum in Tacoma during some of her time off.  We had such fun watching glass being made and seeing all of the exhibits.  Jes and I found time for several good visits.  All three children seem happy and involved in good things.  Chris and Jes are very attentive to their kids. I often worry that there isn't enough time with family but perhaps occasional but close exchanges are enough.  I hope so.

Glass in the ceiling at the Glass Museum in Tacoma.


Jessica holding lighted letters at the Glass Museum.


Here I am doing the same thing.

Lighted letters at the Museum for patrons to organize any way they wish.



Me and Jess at the Museum.


Layne got the bookstore paperwork done and we mended some of the bookstore furniture.  Between visiting and working I think we made the most of our two days together.

                                                                        Peyton


                                                                          Gemma


                                                                            Miles


 It rained most of the time we were there.  We haven't seen rain for some months now, so it was a treat to get wet outside.  We headed for home on Friday morning amidst, you guessed it, rain.  Lots and lots of it.  So much that the windshield wipers had trouble keeping up.  But once outside the Seattle area the rain and the traffic lightened, then left and the rest of our trip was in the sunshine.  We got home Friday evening and entered our freshly varnished home.  Whew, what a smell!  It was hard to take.  Anticipating that, I made arrangements to spend the night with my good buddy, Pat Green.  But Layne opened all the windows and turned on two fans and soon the worst of the smell was gone.  So, to my disappointment, Layne pressed to stay home.  We did and we lived through it.  By Saturday there was little odor left.  It all feels quite normal today, smell-wise.

Pouring rain in Seattle on our drive home Friday.

                                 Our new floors!

I love the floors!  I was thinking that we could move things back on them this weekend.  But our workers said nothing on the floors until Tuesday and no rugs for two weeks!  Wow.  I was a little surprised at that but we will stick to it.  So we have set up meals, such as they are, in the garage.  It is a whole new experience to munch at our table next to the work bench and in the company of the cats.  They seem to think it is a bit strange too.  But we will stick to the schedule and live in a bit of chaos until our new floors are ready for us.  It'll give me time to shop for a new living room rug!

No comments: