Sunday, August 12, 2012

Brown Sugar Frosting

Wednesday August 8:  Audrey and her family will be here for dinner tonight.  I decided to make some kind of original dessert. Well, not exactly original, but a dessert that I haven't made for a very long time.  I settled on Butterscotch Chiffon Cake.  Mother used to make it on a regular basis when I was a girl.  It was almost as good as her pies.  I used her recipe for this cake for a cooking contest when I was in college.  It didn't win but it kept me in the contest.  Tonight this memory cake will grace our table after a very long absence.

I decided that brown sugar frosting was just the thing for this cake.  As I melted the butter and mixed in the brown sugar I was carried back to our San Leandro house.  There I stood at our stove, stirring this very same mix.  Not for frosting.  It was just for me.  Just as it was, a delectable mix of grease and sweet.  I had a passion for this simple, sweet delight.  Even though I suspected that sampling this treat might make my face break out and add a pound or two, I could not resist it.  So, once in awhile when I got home from school, I would mix it up.  Brown sugar and butter.  Throwing guilt to the wind, I would eat it.  And it was culinary heaven.  I sampled it again today and it tastes just as wonderful.

No comments: