Sunday, February 19, 2012

For Love of Family

Not feeling good definitely puts a dent in one's style.  At least that is so when used to feeling good.  Our Dorothy came out of her appendix surgery fixed, but in pain.  I spent the day with her on Monday, helping with the babies (her son and her foster son) and taking the older boys to various destinations.  She asked if I'd take the babies home with me for the week.  So we packaged them up and I brought them home.  Two little boys.  Grandson Bruce is 13 months and foster son John is 19 months.

I assumed that meant an end to most of my plans for the week.  I always have plans, you see.  And I'm working on making them loose so I can accomodate family needs.  Each day of this past week had a plan.  I reorganized in my mind to eliminate all that I could.  But, what do you know, there was no need.  These little boys were a surprise package of fun and low upkeep.  With granddaughter Allegra's help, we did all we planned to do, almost.  The little boys were such fun to have around that we almost fought for the privilege of staying with them.  They played together in harmony and had no demands, except for food.  That came strongly and with regularity.  It was fun to see what I could fix that they both would eat.  And eat they did.  Caring for them put a song in my heart.  I held them, danced with them, read to them, played with them, ate with them.  It was all so fun.  I suppose I was a little surprised at how quickly I became attached to them and took joy in being with them.  Our little boys filled my heart with tenderness and such exquisite pleasure.

Little John is bi-racial; the illegitimate son of a very young father and a mother who is in prison at the moment.  His father visits him but seems not to want to take responsibility for him.  He is a lovely little boy, who warmed to us quickly.  We took special pleasure in seeing his smile and making him laugh.  We tried to give him extra affection, as he so much needs.  I have a hope that the love we give him now will somehow be stored inside of him as he faces what appears to be a troubled future.  Perhaps somewhere in his memory he will sense that he is loved when struggles come to him, as they surely will.

In spite of  the boys, I fixed a candle light, romantic dinner for Layne on Valentine's Day.  I asked him what he would like for dinner, knowing what he would probably say.  Steak.  Yup, I knew it.  A dinner together and valentines exchanged made up our celebration.

Here is John, tentative, but responsive to affection.

This is our Bruce.  He is a happy spirited child, patient and undemanding.
He is a bundle of pure pleasure.
Wednesday, after our temple shift, I completed my preparations for a talk to Relief Society women in our old ward in Fremont.  Seeing my familiar ladies was a joy.  They know and love me.  They know my history.  It is very nice to be known.  I don't feel that in my new environment and I miss it.  The talk was comfortable and wandered a bit from what I had prepared.  But I think it went well and the ladies responded and discussed, as I hoped they would.  It was a good experience.  I don't give many talks these days.  With Layne being a patriarch now, it looks like we won't do much else, as long as we are in this stake.  I sometimes miss the challenge of putting ideas together in interesting and unique ways.  There is something about teaching that is magical.  At least for me.  I put lots of thought into it, as it is not just an assignment for me, but something that I want to do just right.  Not everything is like that for me, but teaching is.  It is an active part of my thought and effort.  I wish I were better at it.

Thursday we helped Ben and Jes move.  Again.  They gave up their previous rental and are moving into a new one, still in Palo Alto.  With six children, they have lots of stuff.  Jessica asked if I would organize her kitchen.  Ben wanted Layne and Cliff to help move the big items.  So, leaving the babies in Allegra's capable hands, we spent the day moving and sorting.  Wow, what an overwhelming task.  We worked hard and fast but still only put a dent in what needs to be done.  But we left them with a working kitchen, furniture basically in place and bedrooms organized.  Eating and sleeping seem to be the most necessary things.  We returned our babies to their home in Brentwood Friday night and returned to Palo Alto for more moving chores on Saturday.  It is an exhausting experience.  But I find that I like organizing things.  There is great satisfaction in setting things up to look good and function well.  Looks like I may return to help Jessica some more this coming week.

This weekend was our stake conference.  I was on my own now that Layne has a stake position.  That requires me to be more outgoing in getting acquainted with people.  I find that to be hard.  Still, after almost 5 years, I feel mostly like a stranger here.  I need to reach out more.  I'm working on that.

No comments: