Sunday, July 10, 2011

Another Cousin Camp




Layne told me not to do it. But I decided not to disappoint the kids so this past week we had a rather informal Cousin Camp. Eight of our grandkids spent the week with us. I admit to being unusually tired. The house was not prepared either. Piles of stuff we brought home from Mom's place fill our rooms. But on they came anyhow. I didn't plan any activities for them as I did last year. They just did their own thing. I put them all in Mom's old room, moving her stuff out of sight.

Wow, what a thing to keep 8 kids happy. My time was totally taken up in their service. Breakfast led into lunch which led into snacks and drinks, then dinner. It was hot. I offered them a trip to the beach and they got so excited. But I could find no second driver to get all those kids there. So Audrey and I decided to get a kid pool for here and have them make do with that. Well...one thing led to another and I wound up getting a much bigger pool than planned. What a blessing it turned out to be. The kids loved
it! What a marvelous score. No worries for the rest of the time.

I often think that I have to "keep the kids busy" but I was delighted to see that these kids had no problems finding their own fun. They searched for life forms, like lizards, frogs and snakes. They helped the cats find mice. They raced on scooters and chased each other around the expansive space that surrounds our house. They watched movies and ate popcorn. They kept each other awake half the night. It was fun, but exhausting.

Friday found the local kids headed for their homes. Daughter Jessica's three Gendreau children remain. After the rest left it seemed like a vacation to only have these three. l have especially looked forward to time with them, as it is so rare. We've had such fun, just the three of them and us. Today we took them to Church. They are not used to Church and know little of the gospel. But they did just fine. We had a great gospel discussion over lunch. I talked to them about the Plan of Salvation and associated ideas. They got into it and asked some very good questions. I felt quite wonderful about the sweet ideas and truths that came forth from their interest and questions. I love this time with just a few of my babes. When the whole gang is here they connect with each other and I am their slave. But when there are just a few, they are my friends.

There has been no time to think or do anything on my own. I know there are issues to work through and stuff to be organized. I suppose that will come soon enough. Tuesday I leave for Salt Lake to meet my sister, Maryanne. We will drive to Colorado and sort more of Mom's things. I'm looking forward to it. There will be some time to rest, in between sorting. Or so I hope. I keep running into changes in my life without Mom. I can go to Salt Lake now without worries about her, for instance. I suppose it will take awhile to face all of the changes that are now before me. Mom was such a part of my life, routine and thoughts.

Pictures: top shows the grandkids all gathered around our cat, Tiki, as she tries to get a mouse she's trapped in the bush you see in the center of the kids. With their help, the mouse escaped. The middle picture shows our new kid pool with happy kids inside. It's pretty big, isn't it? The bottom picture is our Gendreau kids ready for Church.

No comments: