Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Blessings of Leisure


It is interesting to me that I have been able to find open time so easily these past few weeks. I've been trying to take time to do nothing; pretty hard for a girl who seems to need to be busy. I've been fairly successful at doing very little lately. And I kinda like it. I am beginning to notice, however, that I've been overlooking things. But, hey, there's a price to pay for idleness too.

Part of the reason I am seeking leisure is a reaction to what may be a health problem for me. I am pretty invested in seeing myself as a healthy, strong person. So when my doctor friend offered me a free stress test I figured that it would confirm my excellent health. But she surprised me by saying that my heart is "abnormal". It seems that I have an irregular heart beat (not a problem) and also a partially clogged heart artery (a potential problem). Hum. That seems like a pretty compromised situation to me. So I'm working on confirming that diagnosis and then coming up with a plan to address it. So I suppose I must face this compromised health situation as I coast into "old". Hey, but maybe its all a mis-read. I'll soon find out.

Layne has a pretty long "honey-do" list these days. So I've tried not to bug him about things I want him to do. One of those things is to hang some frames for drapes in the living room. I've had a vision of how I want it to be done. But over the months that Layne hasn't done the job, I've come up with a simpler plan. He announced this past week that he was ready to take it on. So my days of leisure have ended, for now. My simple plan took him two days to accomplish, but the frames are ready for my drapery project. And I must get to it as the frames are most unattractive without the fabric to cover them. So I'm on the job.

As we worked on the framing job Friday, a beautiful sunset greeted us. It was sight not to be missed. So mom joined us in taking in that beautiful view. You can see it here. We awaken lately in the clouds. You can see that here as well. You can't beat nature for beauty and inspiration. Although this photo of mom with grandson Bruce is heart-warming. Work and leisure fills my days but the beauty in the world I see fills my soul.

1 comment:

Denita said...

Hello Anadeane-- I stumbled onto your blog and thought I would avoid stalking by leaving a comment. I especially appreciate your words about taking leisure time for yourself. I see so much of myself in how you describe yourself- always busy with something, always have to be productive, etc. So thank you for reminding me to slow down, put people before things, and take time for leisure too. I hope all is well with your family. I think of you occasionally, especially since attempting to record my life's story! Take Care, Denita Bremer