Saturday, February 19, 2011

Another Anniversary


As before mentioned, I've been working on a drapery project. The good news is, I'm finished. The bad news is, I don't like it! It is always disappointing when what I see in my mind doesn't match the actual product. That often happens to me, perhaps because I am an optimist at heart. My mind's view of things is almost always better than the actual things themselves. At any rate, the inferior draperies are hanging up still until I can figure out a way to improve them.

On the upside, our Valentine's Day was very nice. I fixed leftovers, but served them by candlelight and with a lacy kind of tablecloth. Mom, Layne and I exchanged valentines and sweet conversation. Layne even danced with me. That is always a stretch for him so it was a lovely gesture. After we put Mom to bed, I talked him into watching one of my favorite movies of all time, Enchanted April. I've pressed him to watch it before but he has resisted. But he hung in this time, it being Val Day and all. He didn't like the first part but by the end he was converted. Ah, what pleasure to see such a conversion after all my previous efforts! The movie left a sweet feeling that lingered all through the night.

The photo above was taken this past week. We've had tons of rain and this rainbow filled the sky one lovely morning.

I may have mentioned that Layne gave me an iphone for my birthday. It finally arrived and I must say I've hardly done anything else since then, except play with this phone! I am so amazed at all the great things it does and am determined that I will explore all its possibilities. I have to admit that, while I love techy things, I usually figure out the basics and never move beyond that. But this time I'm going to make a real effort to take full advantage of all the functions this phone has to offer. Well, most of the functions anyhow. Well, at least the functions that will be most useful.

February 18th marked the second anniversary of granddaughter Carmen's death. I drove to Brentwood to meet the kids and go to the cemetery. We gathered there in the late afternoon light on a cold and rainy Friday. Dorothy brought balloons. We spoke of our memories of Carmen and released the balloons, which soon disappeared in the wind, clouds and disappearing light. I still feel such sadness at the loss of our girl. As time passes, I worry that her memory will fade, especially for the little kids. I feel that we mustn't let that happen.

Reed treated us all to dinner at a lovely restaurant; the kind that cooks your dinner right in front of you. It was such a treat as we gathered around the large grill and watched the chef do his fancy chopping and frying. I'm trying to give more of myself to family. I think I've been too structured in the past, letting things get ahead of people. I hope to change that.

No comments: