Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pioneering and Such


Our Church youth went on a pioneer trek this past week. Layne and I were in charge of putting together vignettes, or short, dramatized pioneer historical stories, for the kids to experience as they walked their own pioneer trail, pushing and pulling handcarts as they went. It was a three day event, held in a park located near Gilroy. It was dirty, dusty, challenging and fun. By the end of three days without showers and with plenty of dirt we were so coated with grunge that it just didn't matter anymore. In a way it was comfortable; no more worries about getting dirty. Our vignette actors did a great job. I believe the kids were inspired by what we presented to them. I was happy with our effort. Layne looked great in his pioneer outfit of tan and brown. Here you can see him about to present the "crossing of the Sweetwater" to the kids as they approached with their handcarts. Nearby you can see some of the guys pushing the carts across our own "Sweetwater". The girls wait on the other side, where the guys carried them. It was pretty sweet and lots of fun.

Sunday was Father's Day. Layne is in a "don't get me anything" mode. So I didn't. The whole local gang joined us for dinner and the big collection of June birthdays that June brings us. It was an explosion of celebration. There was lots of food, gifts and interaction. I love having family.

I can feel myself changing. I am content to be at home for longer periods of time. Not that I actually experience that very often. But when I do, I like it. I am happier to be alone. My younger self sought out people and bonding, but now I feel content to let whomever wishes to come to me. I have to push myself to connect. At least compared to former days. I suppose I am more given to ponderings and quiet experiences. I am amazed at what I am becoming!

No comments: