Sunday, June 13, 2010

Losses and Gains

Life is full of surprising events. I have been spending quite a bit of time with a good friend, Debbie Anderson, who has been struggling with an unusual disease. It is debilitating but not fatal. Deb has been quite discouraged about losing so much function. I've tried to help her redirect by helping her start to write her life story. We have had much fun piecing her life together in written form, in what we hoped would be a gift for her family. Deb and I met at school, where our children attended some of the same classes. She and I involved ourselves in some causes that we felt were important. Deb is a "cause" kind of girl. We have found much in common and have nourished our friendship over quite a few years now. It has been several weeks since I've seen Debbie. We've been busy in Colorado. She has been struggling with her health a bit more lately. Imagine my shock to hear that Deborah P. Anderson PASSED AWAY this past Wednesday. This disease that "is not fatal" led to a condition that took her life! I've had trouble getting used to the idea of Debbie being gone. Her family is reeling from the unexpected loss. I have been racking my brain to think of what I could do for them. I think I have an idea. I'm going to put the history I have on Deb together with pictures of her into a book for the family. Perhaps it will be a closing of the project we began to bless her family with her story.

Life has its twists and turns. I have a firm belief that death is an adventure that takes us into benevolent territory. I don't mind the thought of it. So why do I feel such a loss when those I am close to pass away? Carmen gave us time to adjust to her leaving us. It was some help to us. Sudden passings leave us in a more unbalanced state. I'm glad to know that they are temporary. Soon enough we will all be together again. But the view from here is clouded.

The world spins on. It is a beautiful day today, very warm and summery. Layne and I just celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary by going out to dinner at China Chilies, one of my favorite places to eat. When we eat out. Which is rare. But then, that just makes it more special, don't you think? In the accompanying picture you can see Layne waiting patiently at our table for dinner to be served. I'm grateful to be involved in a relationship that has been mutually nurturing over the years.

We have two grandsons who are deacons now. Being both twelve years of age, they can go to the temple and do baptisms. They went together, along with granddaughter Allegra, this past Wednesday. What a joy it is to see these children grow into strong, good people. Here you can see Isaiah and James ready to head for the temple. Blessings abound.

No comments: