Sunday, May 9, 2010

Poppy Hill


Our poppies still fill the yard with their happy blooms. It makes the muddy back yard less tiresome. It is raining today, so the poppies are refreshed for another period of time. So successfully have they grown that I think I'll spread them around in other parts of the yard. After killing off so many other kinds of plants it is good to know that some like it here. Mom was returned home from a luncheon this week by a friend who called our place "Poppy Hill". I kind of like that.

Today is Mother's Day. I awoke feeling such gratitude for my own good mother, and for the joy of having my own children. I can see that relationships are the joy or sorrow that make the biggest difference in the quality of life. Nothing is harder than making space for another person in my life. They require a great deal from me if they are to endure. But I see now that sacrifices made for the people in my life are worth making. As time goes by I feel less and less attached to objects and ways of doing. I am more and more willing to give them away for some good purpose that benefits someone I love. But I also feel oddly content to spend long periods of time completely alone. Growing older certainly has modified my mind-set.

Today, after several weeks of quiet, the local family will be here. We will have 25 for dinner. Fortunately, I'm not in charge of the food. The men will do it all. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: