Sunday, March 7, 2010

A House of Many

Our family adventures continue. So much so that there hasn't been time to blog. Ben and Jes discovered mold in their home at caustic levels. So they have moved in with us while their rented home is "de-molded." What a wild and crazy time we have had as we have blended stuff, activities and life-forms. We have even shared the one-day flu. Ben began it, then shared with every single one of us, including Mom. I do my best to forget how very much I detest nausea. My memory was dramatically refreshed as I spent one night experiencing it last week. Mom experienced the same thing the very same night. By morning we were over it, just weak and depleted. On the bug moved to the others in our expanded household. Last week was all about being sick.

In the picture to the right you can see Ben's Jessica and four of their children on our front step: Jacqueline, William, Zachary and Alexis.

This week has been busy but healthy. The BJ children are very proactive. With Mom in our only guest room, the only space available for the BJ family of 7 is our study. So they all stuffed themselves in there. You can see the layout in the accompanying picture. It was a great time to influence Layne for a different arrangement. We shopped for, and found, a great Murphy bed. I'm so excited about it! It will be a queen-sized bed that folds up on the wall, again, in the study. The mattress will be a good one and, when not in use, it will take up very little space. It will be a comfortable place at last.

I also shared my dream for our "dungeon" room downstairs with Layne. It would be a great place for kids to sleep if we fixed it up. Layne is a bit less enthusiastic about this idea but I plan to wear him down. My creative juices are always way ahead of my time and energy but I'm determined to make this vision come true. It would be such a wonderful space for the children. Especially as opposed to the usual romp through our upstairs living spaces. Having our little gang here for almost two weeks has been very motivating!

I found my usual reprieve from the madness at the temple, for our weekly service. Talking over my feelings with dear friends brings out of me thoughts that I didn't exactly know were there. I try this talk-bonding with Layne but it doesn't work nearly as well. He's a great listener but doesn't have much to say to my ponderings except, "Uh huh." But women always have something to say it seems. I can see why it is such a good thing to spend time with them. I felt so refreshed after being with my temple girls.

All of the rain here has made our hills a rich green. How I love looking out upon them. We were doing just that the other day when we were embraced by a beautiful rainbow. Rainbows are always so awe-inspiring. We gazed at it and took pictures to try and capture the wonder of it. Gazing downward at our struggling front yard brought the vision of a particular plant that has rejoiced at being in the yard. I planted a few poppies last fall in the hopes that they might do well. They have exploded! They are huge and have made endless babies that have nestled themselves in desirable and undesirable places. I actually had to pull some of them out! So there you have it. There is some kind of plant that will love just about any place on earth. We just have to make the right match. I guess poppies were made for our hill.

This past Saturday the whole family made our way to Brentwood to see Reed and Dorothy's third son, Vincent, baptized. What a joyous event! As I ponder all of the frustrations of life, I feel so grateful that the growing family that surrounds us are well cared for, intelligent, healthy people. They require endless amounts of time, but what is our time for? Besides, its better to be busy than bored.

No comments: