Sunday, March 14, 2010

Down

Today I am struggling with a definite "down". Perhaps my problem centers around my need to feel productive. It seems like I base my feelings of esteem on what I can crowd into a day. I'm not sure why just relaxing doesn't seem to fit comfortably in my life. Today I taught my usual Sunday School class. I don't feel that it went especially well. I was disappointed. Actually, I still am. It seems to be a funny quirk of human nature to dwell on the negative a bit too much. So I rationally tell myself to simply try a different angle next time and move on. But I still feel stubbornly "down".

We awoke several mornings ago to noisy outside chatter. As we looked outside our bedroom window we became the happy witnesses of an interesting courtship going on among the local turkeys. You can see in this picture the efforts this male was going to. We figure he was hoping to catch at least one girl's eye. But, as you can see, they seem quite uninterested. So goes the world of turkey love life.
I've been helping my friend Debbie write her life story each Friday. Our routine is now established. We visit, eat a little lunch, then she describes a piece of her childhood to me as I type it up for her. I then read my version of what she has said back to her. It is a happy errand for me. I cannot say why it is so pleasurable. Perhaps it is just good company. Or perhaps it is the good feeling that comes from doing something for someone else. Hearing Debbie's story is a pleasure to us both. I suppose I am a little surprised at my enjoyment of it.

Layne and I went on one of our rare nights out on Saturday. We packaged Mom up and met friends at a Chinese restaurant in Fremont called China Chilies. It was cuisine heaven. Rarely can I say that eating out is worth it. This time it was!

No comments: